Alumubass Bullfrog 2.10".

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by De Teng, Oct 28, 2003.

1. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    So... the first message, is a topicstart.

Two years of browsing only gave me two adds of the 2.10" of the Bullfrog cabs as named above. I am considering in buying one secondhand, and already own a Bag End 2.10" (D-10BX). May be this combination would be a nice one, or should I stay with Bag End and buy the deep version of it? This would be the D-10BX-D or perhaps even the 2.12" version. I believe it's called the D12-BD.

Any advice or experience/ opinion about both brands? Thanks in advance.

I play funkrock (punchy fingerpicking style), and also use harmonics regularly, in the quiet parts. Kind of derived Jaco-style. Passive bass on a Peavey T-Max. (Yes... I want to use the full 500 W RMS)
  2. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    they were supposedly some pretty decent cabs, albeit, big and heavy...they were discontinued several years ago, though. good luck finding one...
  3. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Well... I am about to buy one for 350 euro (the 2.10" with horn). I didn't try it with the Bag End yet, supposingly it would change the sound of the rig I have. Perhaps I should stay with Bag End? But those things cost 250 euro or more extra, and the choice is based on getting more lows in my sound. I heard that the Bullfrogs or really good at that point.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I remember that the reviews said they had that typical scooped mid sound and did not cut through very well. Can anybody confirm that?
  5. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    That doesn't sound ok...
  6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The D10BX-D has an awesome low end, but if you already have a coax BE, you don't need two tweeters. Get the D10B-D; it's a fair bit cheaper, esp. 2nd hand.
  7. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I had the alumabass 4X10" that I got through MF for a great price...only problem was it was the most "nutless" cab I've ever played through. Couldn't cut through warm butter. I couldn't imagine the 2X10" would be any different.
  8. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It was also the HEAVIEST cab I've ever had.
  9. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Thanks people, I just sent the e-mail, telling him I don't want it.

About the Bag End, they are really hard to find in Holland... but you're right, another tweeter is a bit pointless. Hopefully, I'm running into it once.

Bag End advice is still welcome!
  10. Indeed, my friends, I have actually played through this cab you speak of (Alumnubass 210), and I was not impressed. I forgot the name of the brand until now, as all I remembered was the Bullfrog logo. For the longest time I got it confused with Accugroove for some reason, so thanks for reminding me of the name.

But anyway, I played through the 210 along with the 215 with a MM SR5 and GK 800RB in the studio once, and I have a recording if you want to hear it. It's sounds pretty good, but no better than than anything else I've played through. However, I didn't do any extensive testing, so that's all I can say about it.

But my advice would be: Stick with Bag End -- they're worth the extra $$$.

11. I've got the BagEnd Q10BX-D. Works for almost everything i need it to, but watch out! It's only rated down to 40Hz, and doesn't handle a Low B well. I assume the same is with the D10BX.

The low end is still awesome though!
  12. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I had two Bull Frog Alumacrap 210's and they both crapped out on me. I took them back and got an SWR Goliath Jr III. Do not waste yer $.
  13. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Bullfrog made bass cabs? Sounds like they were as bad as their PA cabs.........
  14. DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I bought a 2x10 from Musicians Friend back in the early 90's & still have it. I'm suprised since it was sold through MF that I can't find much on these...figured since it was through MF there'd be more around. Anyways I still have mine, the only issue I ever had was that the dust cap came loose and I though I blew a speaker. I siliconed it back on and haven't had an issue since. Iused it as a standalone in a smaller band with no issues. It's heavy but sounds great, plenty of bass (IMO). I thought it had a lot more balls than the 2x10 Hartke's at the time I bought it.:thumbsup: