Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alvarez 6-string on Ebay - opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by noelpaz, May 9, 2003.

1. I've been searching for an affordable 6 string. I've seen the same person selling an Alvarez AEBT somethin 6 string on ebay. Is this bass any good? It say 25.5 scale -- that's a guitar.I've done a search on this but have not found any good answers. Anyone out there witht any direct experience with this bass.

Thanks

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Alvarez goofed on their site and mixed up the 25.5" fretboard and the 34" scale- standard 34" scale and 22 frets. The stock Alvarez pickups are somewhat weak, but can be directly swapped out for EMG's. Alvarez uses EMG on its nicer models with the active tone circuit. The bodies are solid alder (I'm pretty sure) with a thin quilted maple top. midnight had one for sale for $200 awhile back, and I don't know if he ever sold it. I would PM him and ask him about it.:)

3. Yup, I sold my 6 string Alvarez rather quickly, as a matter of fact. Perhaps I could have sold it for more than $200, but I didn't want to mess around with haggling. I see that most comparable basses on Ebay are going for $350-$450. I wouldn't pay over $300 for one, personally. They are OK basses, and might work OK for cutting your teeth on a sixer. The p/u's are indeed weak and the bridge/nut are poor quality and could stand to be replaced. The neck was nice though... fairly tight string spacing but not bad. And the tone was decent also, though lacking in volume. It would be nice if you could try one out. If you get it from Ebay, you're stuck whether you like it or not!

4. bill7122

bill7122

Feb 23, 2003
    Albany NY area
    I recently purchased a nearly new 5 string Alvarez quilted maple finish w/a nice hardshell case for $350. Might have paid a little too much, but the neck felt nice, and after I adjusted the neck and bridge and intoned the bass it plays pretty darn well.

I could spend a few bucks and get new pickups and a new bridge, and I bet it would be really nice. Seems to be fairly dense (heavy in weight for it's size), and has pretty good sustain.

Although the spacing of the strings is a little tight, the sound is pretty good for the pickups they have. My Yorkville amp makes most basses sound really nice, however.

It's my first 5-string.

Bill

5. I've got an AEB5 and an AEB6 and couldn't be happier with either one of them (especially for what I gave for them). Fairly tight string spacing, which is fine with me. Haven't felt the need to change anything but the strings. They both get played all the time live and in the studio and rake in compliments on tone and playability. Maybe I just lucked out and got some gems, but I love 'em both.

If you want to hear some clips:

www.greenjeansstudios.com
    Hard to Get, One of Us, and Go Away were all recorded with on the sixer

www.poseurmusic.com
    That Guy and Overlapping were both done with the five