Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alvarez basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by king_truffle, Apr 20, 2001.

1. king_truffle

king_truffle

Apr 4, 2001
    Oshkosh WI
    Yo what is up fellow bass people. I am thinking of getting an Alvarez AEB50BC 5-string bass and am wondering if anyone has it or has any experience with it. If so, what do you think of them, good, bad, indifferent. Thanks.

2. heelflip86

heelflip86

May 17, 2001
    alvarez basses are some pretty well made basses,,
    if its a five string i would replace the pickups because the dont pick up the bstring all that well, so the pick ups are alittle weak, the stock strings are pretty good even though i prefer flatwounds, umm the neck is kinda wide but i like wide ones, the string spacing is almost perfect but hard to reach if you have small hands like me, the turners dont move at all and if they start to move alittle bit theres a screw you can tighten to make it better, besides the pickups the bass is encredibly rich warm sounding, and i love it says the day i bought it hope this helps out

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

king_truffle, how much is the Alvarez? An Ibanez BTB405 or MTD Kingston 5 would blow the Alvarez away.

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i've got an old 5 string villain from, like, '92...it's a solidly built bass, but the electronics leave a lot to be desired...i opted to replace the preamp with an emg unit, but i kept the pickups, which were built for alvarez by emg...it's all in all a decent bass. i still have it.

5. I Think he is long gone (Notice the date (4-07-01 :D))

6. I had an Alvarez Villian 4.
    A good instrument except for the pick-ups.
    I swapped out the stock passive pick-ups and put in an Active set of Basslines and it improved the tone 1,000%.

Bass Player Magazine said that Alvarez AEB stood for "Average Electric Bass."