Alvarez basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by king_truffle, Apr 21, 2001.

1. king_truffle

Apr 4, 2001
    Oshkosh WI
    Yo fellow bass people. I am wondering if anyone has an Alvarez 5-string bass, if so, what do you think about it, good? Bad? Decent? I am thinking of getting one but I haven't heard much about them. Any opinions? Thanks.
  2. EmuKing

EmuKing Guest

Apr 16, 2001
    Houston, Tx
    I have one, although its my first bass, I would recommend finding one to try out. I have played electric guitar for several years and decided to make the intelligent move to bass. I don't think I'll pick up my guitar again. The bass is great!
  3. My first bass was an Alvarez Villian 4.
    The instrument played great, but the stock pick-ups seemed very weak. Once I replaced the stock pick-ups with Active Basslines it turn everything around. Recommended for beginners.
  4. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    The new Alvarez basses seem pretty neat. I tried a few and almost got one (6 string). However, the are passive, and the sound is a bit generic/bland. They feel OK and seem well made (for Korean basses) though. There isn't much info on the newer models. I'd say try one and compare it to similarly priced basses like Ibanez, Cort Curbow (recommended), or Yamaha. Good luck!
  5. BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    The last Alvarez I picked up in was when I was in high school and the bassist for the jazz band bought one for some "studio work" (Read as: Demo) he was doing. He sure as hell hyped it as the shiznit, but I took a few plucks and found it to be pretty average. If it's a first bass or first five string situation, I say go for it. Personally, I would'nt get one. But that's me.
  6. a local music store in my area has custom alvarezs with emg's in them with some nice eq, not very expensive either