Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ALWAYS do your financial research

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bardolph, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    The general rule of thumb to know about sales is this:

If there is a deal that seems too good to be true, it probably is.

So I was on vacation in the Wisconsin Dells this past week (great vacation place by the way) and my parents and I were walking around the shops when we came across a guy at a stand who offered us free stuff. Wanting to know what the catch was, my mom decided to talk to him. He assured us that there was no catch, and that he could get us free tickets to nearby attractions if we sat through a presentation put on by Fairfield Resorts. The reason he gave us was that this was just a way of promoting Fairfield. The free tickets sounded good so we told him the tickets we wanted and signed up to see the presentation. There really was no catch to the free tickets and we did get them, but now about Fairfield. We go and watch this presentation and first of all there has to be a guy that explains to us what the thing actually is. Basically, you buy a package that gives you a point system that lets you choose really nice vacation spots. It's complete with the video of satisfied customers and the examples of how they can get you huge cruise trips for 60 dollars and whatnot. At the end they bring you into this big room and sit you at a table and actually try to sell you the deal. It turns out being a total payment of over 20,000 dollars and my parents are very smart financially and they never buy something big that they learned about the same day. Of course we didn't buy it, but plenty of others did. I'll admit, it did look very cool and it seemed it would be a good deal in the long run, but as soon as we got home from the vacation my mom looked up customer comments about Fairfield and it turns out being a major scam to tons of unfortunate customers that can't back out of the deal. It just makes me sick thinking of the tactics of salesmen and the fact that they know exactly what they are doing to customers when they screw them over. So just remember that you should ALWAYS check different sources when making a big financial decision.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I got roped into one of these things. They sent me a voucher for a free holiday. And all I had to do in return was attend a video presentation. Silly me actually went along and it turn out to be the exact same scam. It's really just a fancy pants way to get around the fact that time-share is now illegal. My Gawd, talk about a heavy sell! These guys made Real estate agents look like Mother Theresa.

I couldn't have afforded the package no matter how much they wanted to sell it to me. That didn't stop them. The experience was so Harrowing I dodn't even claim the free holiday because it was at one of THEIR resorts....................

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

? Time share is now illegal ?

Where? Why? How did it get that way?

Just curious, I haven't heard anything about this.

What if you already own a timeshare?

4. South Park parodied this a while ago with their "Asspen" episode. While the kids ski and stuff the parents are stuck in seminars about their timeshares. Great episode!

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It's illegal in Australia and has been for some time now. It's probably still OK in your neck of the woods so don't panic.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hehehe....these are fun to go to in Hawaii for the free towles, and Macadamie nuts. In Mexico, you can get free Tequila, and margaritas.

We have a deal like that around here called Trendwest. I think they are legit though. My parents are "owners". The one that is a scam around here is called Shell Vacations. No association with the gas station.

-Mike

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's Them! That's the donkey bottom's that imprisioned me for several hours.

8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

No panic here. We don't actually own one, but know a lot of people who do. Just curious, is it actually illegal to "own" one down under, or to "buy" one, or to "advertise" one, or to "sell shares"? Like, if an Aussie were to come to the US and buy one, would that be an infringement?

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It's illegal to sell or market them here, regardless of where the property is actually located. If a Time share deal went down, the people selling it would get prosecuted. So Trendwest came up with a strategy which gets around that but has a lot of the similar principles as time share. I can't remember the specifics, and I have no intenntion of refreshing my memory, but their catch cry was "Own your own Holidays".

10. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    That was the concept that Fairfield tried to explain, that you own your vacations instead of renting them. Basically their point system is a creative way to successfully sell "nothing" to their customers.

11. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    yeah, i've seen stuff like this happen before. i feel really sorry for the people who do buy this stuff, not because they are out the money, but that they are so goddamn stuipid. i don't see how they can make some of that stuff convincing to anyone.

12. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    What about all the infomercials that come on TV at 3 A.M.? Like buying repo-ed houses and then selling them for profit, or Ronco's kitchen appliances.

Pleaseee tell me it's true, it just has to be!!

:crying:

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I got hit up for one of those. Called me up on the phone, "You just won a free trip to Brazil!" I thought about this for a moment, and then decided to let them spin their web whilst I craftily believed not a damn word of it. I asked, wow, is it true all I have to do is sit through a video? "Yes! No strings attached!" So, I said, hell, worst case scenario, it's South Park's Asspen all over again.

Then they want my age. I tell them 19. The lady puckers right up and is like "We're...ah...targeting an older age group," and back pedalled a lot faster than I'dve given her credit for.

Older age group my ass, they just realized they'd give a vacation (probably a crappy one), to a kid who couldn't even think about being suckered into their evil plot. I was laughing about it for a few hours.

14. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    speaking of, i just finished watching mathstick men about 20 minutes ago. AWSOME movie, that was the best i have ever seen nicholas cage act, great story!
    i learned something good yesterday too, always save your receipts.

15. My mum and dad bought into a similar scheme.

I got a week in Tahoe and another in Newport Beach on the back of it. That bit didn't suck too badly... ;)

16. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    nice man.

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Don't worry, it's all true. I've been selling repoed kitchen appliances for years and I make huge profits.

brad cook

18. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    and investing in those ATMs at fast food restaurants. and pyramid schemes. it's friends working for friends!

re: brendan. that's contrary to what i'd expect; i would think that scam agencies would want to talk to young'ins, especially those that are on their own for the first time. :meh:

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Nope, since I couldn't afford to buy into whatever they were selling. Young people don't have disposable income, and they tend to be sharper than the 50-60 year olds they target.

20. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It's not a Pyramid, it's a Trapezoid (Simpsons Episode).