1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Always finish your antibiotics!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jeff_bass28, Nov 18, 2006.

1. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    I had bronchitis. The first antibiotic my doc had me on put me in the ER 20 minutes after I took it (severe allergic reaction...irregular heartbeat...trouble breathing...you know, the fun stuff!)

So he put me on something else. You know how you're told to finish ALL of an antibiotic, even if you feel better, or the whatever-it-is could come back?

Well, I didn't listen (actually I just forgot about taking them once I felt better.); now my bronchitis is back.
    Damn it.
    :meh:

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

It is good to the last drop !

3. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    And now its probably even harder to kill... They really aren't lying when they ask you to finish.

Although, I'm sitting here coughing because the first set I got didn't work and the second hasn't kicked in yet. SO finishing doesn't always do it either.

Hope you aren't sick for long

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    They tell you to take that much for a reason. Just like ladders say "Weight limit: 300lbs" when it's good to 400lbs. It's there to make sure nothing goes wrong.

5. ALWAYS finish any antibiotics given to you. When you don't, if the bacteria isn't completely killed, it will come back, typically more resistant to said antibiotic than before.

On a side note, taking antibiotics for some flu-like symptoms is typically a waste anyway. Many flu-like symptoms are caused by a virus. Antibiotics have NO effect on viral infections whatsoever. Lots of people don't grasp that, and when coughs and sneezes and runny noses and aches and pains come, they insist on getting antibiotics. They may as well just ingest Pez. :meh:

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    It would be better if they took Pez, becuase taking Pez doesn't make Pez stop working for you ever again.

Whereas if you take an anti-biotic, taking it again at some later time will be useless as your body has already become resistant to it.

7. jobu3

jobu3 It ain’t ideal but I deal Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Not finishing all your antibiotics or worse yet hoarding them to take one or two pills later as you may think is necessary makes it worse. It's like giving the bacteria a vaccination that works against the effectiveness of the meds rendering them useless.

That's how we get superbugs like MRSA that get harder and harder to treat.

Plus not all antibiotics are effective for all bacteria. A culture and sensitivity test can be necessary to determine what type of bug you have before getting something that will actually work.

8. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Not finishing antibiotics is said to lead to antibiotic resistent strains of bacteria.So as when people catch it what worked before doesn't work anymore. I watched a special on this and it was said that we could literally "run out" of effective antibiotics someday. I don't know if I really believe that . But it could mean that scientists will have to stay busy developing new ones.:eek:

9. Thats the way it is.

However, immunity against antibiotics is usually caused by over prescription of antibiotics, ie for colds, flu and small infections, things where the added antibiotics dont usually do much at all, especially to viruses, its not as bad now but it used to be pretty bad.

The having to keep coming up with more antibiotics thing could be pretty hard, however, thankfully good old penicillin and amoxycillin are still working most of the time!

10. Uh...no, that's not correct. If it was, you'd need a different drug everytime you were infected by the same infection(bug) throughout your life.

The "bugs" will become resistant if you stop taking the antibiotic (assuming it's the right drug for the bug) before the drug concentrations have been built up high enough and long enough to kill off the infection. Stopping too early allows the bad bugs to regroup (mutate) and attack again like the Taliban is doing. Well sort of.

Bacterial infections in the lungs are usually difficult to treat with antibiotics and, as was mentioned before, if it's a viral cause, they won't work at all.

Bottom line: your body is not getting resistant to the meds, the bugs are if you don't finish that bottle. Bottoms up! :smug:

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    ooh, I feel pretty crappy today. I've got a cold, I feel ill and I'm off my food (plus I've pulled a muscle in my back so I'm kinda layed out). The worst thing is there isn't a pill in the world that can help me. I've just gotta sit this one out. :meh:

12. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I've never used the same anti-biotic twice. :confused:

13. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    GROOVEjunkie is right afaik.

14. jobu3

jobu3 It ain’t ideal but I deal Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    You (and he) are correct sir.

15. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Seriously? Why did I always think that after you use anti-biotics once they won't work again for you? Is that a myth or is there something related to that? (possibly the "if you don't finish them you're screwed" thing?)

16. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    I've heard people talk about antibiotic resistance being something you develope, not something bacteria do a few times, but thats definately backwards. Its the same idea as that mosquito's/ddt thing they use to talk about evolution. If a few larva survive, then they're harder to kill with ddt the next time, as are all of their offspring.

I've definately had the same antibiotics on more than one occasion.

I would imagine its just someone misinterpereting the if you don't finish them you're screwed thing, then passing it off to others.