Always getting burnt

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Artist, Nov 18, 2004.

1. We (our band) have finly got our demo finished, and I was showing it to people I know. In most cases, before even listning to it they gave comments like "cool put it in the player. We wont hear much of you though, will we... coz your the bassist!" Wich really gets me upset/angry. Why don't people listen to any other instrument than the guitar or the singing?!? (And not just non musicians) Even if you try to help them hear the other aspects of the music oter than the "lead", they just try to ignore what you say.
    Are we gifted, or are they just stubborn, stupid or deaf or something...?
  2. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Just think of yourself as a "Master in the Art of Musical Stealth" :ninja: ;)
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    All I listen to is drums.
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Usually the first thing I listen to is the production.

If you can't take the heat of being a bassist, I'd go to a different kitchen. If I get a comment like that, I just let it roll off my back. Most people just accept music for what it is, and they can't dissect the parts to determin what does what. Especially if the bass follows the guitar, they think the guitarist just has thick heavy tone. Not that the bassist is supportive. If you are worried about comments like this, buy a guitar or a microphone.

Or do a search and join the crowd.
  5. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    That's why I really enjoy playing stuff where the bass is up front. Bob Marley and The Police have been my latest obsessions.
  6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    For me its rather Primus, RATM and lots of jazz and fusion.

Interestingly, non-bass-playing musicians do recognize slapping - which is a good thing :bassist:
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA

people don't notice the bass with their brains, but it's what makes their bodies move. This is true no matter what you play. even metal gets their heads bobbing. as a bp you have to learn to take pride and get satisfaction from being the solid foundation upon which all the more noticable instruments rest. groove and smile.
  8. All you need is the click track.:D

Right now I'm on TB and playing with Reason. This is fun!!

Rock on
  9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If its such a big deal just go play another instrument.

Or make the bass playing more "in-your-face".
  10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Oh yeah, do a search.
  11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Dead on the money with that comment. Remove the bass from a track and people will wonder what happened to the track even if they can't figure out that the bass is missing.
  12. It's not that I can't take it. On the counterary, I enjoy been something "special" and hidden, it matches my persona. :smug:
    I do play other instruments, not as well as bass (not that I'm all to good at that ether, but I enjoy it, being a part of music, and being able to groove away, if I could choose between my ***** or my bassplaying I would go for the bassplaying, and thats saying alto couse I love my *****, (just wanted to express my love for bass)) but I just love the versetillety of bass, the things you can do with "it".
    I just think It's a shame that we and other non solo instruments are so underrated and wonderd if it's just the people I know.

we rule the subconcius mind!
    Alexx ;)
  13. It wierd how people are allways saing "wow, this trak is really bassy" or "I like music with really heavy bass in it" but when ou're talking about your instrument they go "bla bla four strings, what does the bass play i've never even noticed the bass.

I just wanted to get it out of my system

14. We should all know this quote:

All eyes are upon the star, but their butts are shaking to the bass guitar.

Gene Simmons, wasn't it?

Rock on
  15. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

what's the big fuss, usually it's me making the comment. i said it to my therapist about my drinking. "i never get so drunk that i can't play bass. but even if i was playing poorly would you really notice? how many bad bassplayers have you ever heard?"

it's true. bass is felt not heard. you only notice when it's missing.
  16. That's the best thing I've read in a while. :hyper:
  17. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Who cares? I mean really, your friends are just ignorant. Thats all.

I love the band I'm in, they let me do whatever I want because they know it'll sound better that way. My friends that listen to us play also appreciate the simpler of my lines as well as the more complex ones.
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My response to that: "Well, maybe your ear isn't well-trained enough to hear the bass, but trust me, you'll know if I stop playing."
  19. it really shouldn't be that surprising. A lot of people can't even tell the diference between a bass and a guitar, by sound or appearance, and as sad as it may seem to us, they only pay attention to singing, guitar, and other "lead" instruments. This is less thecase w/ certain styles of music, but in most pop music the bass is just supporting other stuff (and by pop, I don't just mean stuff like Britney Spears).