Always-On Overdrive pedal recommendations (not distortion, not fuzz)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by patrickj, Sep 17, 2021.

1. This is kinda silly but I absolutely love my Behringer BOD (bass OD) pedal. I've had it easily 15+ years by now, the plastic has never been an issue, the sound is what I love.

However I now need something that is a bit more Not-Behringer. Prefer not too boutique as I'm going to get more than one (multiple boards where I want the same core sound on each). I do need something a bit more ahem, 'cool' on stage. Behringer just doesn't cut it.

Basically I want a better brand name version of the BOD400.

Any suggestions?

Pedals I've tried and sold over the years.. DG Microtubes X, Billy Sheehan sig, Ampeg Scrambler, Sansamp, BDI21, a few others I can't remember (including those Caline and Joyo cheapies, also a vintage Arion).. the closest one I really liked was the DG Vintage Ultra 2 but it is just too $$ to purchase multiple (3 total).

Thoughts on the SAS Aftershock? I kinda like the idea that the pedal is programable to give a variety of sounds - at least that's how I understand it.

2. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    Damnation audio MBD 1 or 2

3. TXBassTone

TXBassTone Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2020
    San Antonio, Texas
    I had the Aftershock and I liked the tones that it had. It was very customizable. My only gripe and the reason I returned it was due to the ability to make changes during a set. Sure you can save presets, but I found the fact that it has to be connected to a computer or phone aux port (what modern phones still have that?) to be too complex for me.

4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    The Damnation Audio MBD-1/2 is pretty damn versatile, but the recent price increase makes it a bit cost prohibitive if you're looking to buy multiples.

For under $200(new), here are some of my ODs of choice

Way Huge Pork & Pickle ($170)
    Way Huge Green Rhino MkV ($130)
    Spaceman Effects Saturn VI ($180)
    Sushi Box Space Heater($150+, depending on options)

Zbysek, LostJohnny and Warlock_Surfer like this.
  5. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Darkglass Vintage Microtubes?

6. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    That's the one I use, but for the OP might be bit pricy.

7. TXBassTone

TXBassTone Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2020
    San Antonio, Texas
    Maybe you should look into amp in a box type solutions, like Master Effects. They are a bit expensive as well, but they are very good quality and will do anything from light drive to fuzz.

8. ETJ

ETJ

Aug 27, 2021
    Seattle-ish
    Literally nobody but you knows what’s on your board when you are on stage. If you have something you like, keep it and use it! A sound that works for you is “cool.”

Fuzzbass, OOD, SmokinJoe992 and 9 others like this.
  9. Alivefor5

Alivefor5 Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Indiana
    So paint your BOD white. Take a black magic marker and write BOSS on it. Presto cool factor on the box with the sound you love.

10. bassegg

bassegg

Oct 17, 2018
    I've never tried the Behringer but I believe it is based on the Boss ODB-3. It's a bit of a polarising pedal but I really like the Boss. Keep the gain low (almost off) and blend at about 9 o'clock.

BeauZooka, dkelley, J-Mags and 3 others like this.
  11. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Why do you need three. I mean I understand that you want three pedalboards with the same “core” sound on each but… what’s the thinking there? Maybe we can figure out a solution for that if the VMT is the tone you like.

12. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Bacoli, Italy
    Earthquaker Westwood works great on bass due to its active EQ. I run it on a low setting for just a touch of hair.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  13. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    the pedal you have is a clone of the boss bass overdrive.. I'd say the bass driver by boss may be the next step..

Riff Ranger likes this.
  14. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    - Spaceman Effects Saturn VI. This one is my always-on drive, it just does that extremely well.
    - Any Blueberry variant. I have a Bearfoot FX Blueberry, Bearfoot FX Queen Bee, and One Control Blackberry. My favorite is the Blackberry and that’s the one that’s on my board. The Body control, which adjust the lower mids, is what makes it the most useful to me.
    - One Control Hooker’s Green Bass Machine - I find it kind of Blueberry-like and the Treble control helps add some additional clarity.
    - Electroharmonix Bass Soul Food. This one was had a pretty bad reputation here on TB for its first several years of existence, but seems to finally be gaining some amount of acceptance here. I always liked mine, though. The Blend knob is the key with this one. It’s also a very budget-friendly option, too.
    - SolidgoldFX Beta - kind of dark, but at lower gain and with the Tone knob kind of high, it makes a really good always on.

JRMK likes this.
  15. Erik herman

Erik herman Gold Supporting Member

Creation Audio Grizzly bass, very touch sensitive and very versatile, I use mine at low gain

16. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  17. The Behringer BOD 400 is a clone of the Boss ODB3 so you needn't look farther than that for a bona fide replacement. The SA Aftershock can absolutely do a spot on emulation and offer more EQ with the 4 band EQ and gating options as well as additional.distortion options if you are creative, so can the Bass Ultrawave that brings compression and a more powerful.EQ and distortion engine to.bear.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  18. Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop

19. I can recommend the TC Electronics Spark Booster (not Mini) for that sort of thing, should money be an issue. I actually built a board around two of those a while ago, and it worked very well in my Classic Rock / Alternative band – one always-on, the other on-demand. They're cheap enough to get two (or three, or four), after all.

TC Electronic Spark Booster. Underrated champion of low-gain overdrives

BeauZooka, Zbysek, Marihino and 5 others like this.
  20. Bassiclees

Bassiclees Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2020
    +1 TC Spark. Phenomenal sleeper piece of kit.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021