Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Always use a surge protector when gigging!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by in2dagrave, Dec 31, 2005.

1. PLayed a gig at a club in cleveland last night.Me and one of my guitarists blew fuses due to crappy wiring.I learned a few lessons.

1.Always have extra fuses handy.

2.Always use a surge protector/power conditioner.

3.Never play shows at Peabodys in cleveland.

I hope people can learn from my mistakes!!!

2. I always use a surge protector. :D

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
  4. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I hear you on that. The same $15 surge protector that protects my computer has the same amount of protection that those high priced ones have...except some are "Power Conditioners", to wit, I have no idea what that does.

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Bill, is there a way you'd suggest to protect our rigs in less than perfect conditions?

6. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    although personally i'd spring the extra money for surge protectors that have good protection indicators and insurance warranties that will pay for your equipment replacements if it fails.... like tripp lite for example

and then you ahve power conditioners that use series mode protection like the newer furmans that sort of use MOV's in a different enough way to earn a seperate mention......i think.

heh.

7. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    What happens to your amp when a fuse is blown?

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Three MOVs connecting each leg of the AC line will protect you from anything other than a direct lightning hit, in which case the state of your gear will be the least of your worries. You can get maximum line noise rejection with a Corcom twin T filter, about fifteen bucks from various electronics supply outlets. That's what inside this:
    [​IMG]

9. I hear that! We played a wedding gig one time with our entire PA, my amp, and our two guitarists amps all plugged into 2 WALL OUTLETS, I mean, only two dang plugs! We had to use those little outlet spliter doodads. I was on edge all evening just waiting for something to blow! And could you imagine how bad I would feel ruining a wedding reception? Luckily nothing went wrong, but I sure learned my lesson,

Listen up kids! If you're going to be a big rock and roller, USE PROTECTION!