1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Am Dlx Jazz Bass pickup one side higher than the other.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Afire, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Afire

Afire

Jun 8, 2008
    I own a fender american deluxe jazz bass, since the time i got it i have notice that the side of the pick up facing the sky is deeper than the one facing the floor anyone, have any idea why ?

I found a few pic of it on TB.

This pic belongs to pipe_godzend

IMG_3657.

This pic belongs to lespaulmarshall

100_0338.

2. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    As long as the output of your strings is equal, it doesn't matter. If it is affecting the output, take a screwdriver and lower the G side or raise the E side.

3. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    You did notice that you can adjust the angle using the screws that were used to mount the pickup? This was pretty much the first thing I started messing around with when I got my first bass. ;)

By the way, this is done to balance the output of the strings as the lower strings usually have slightly higher action than the higher strings.

4. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    It's very easy to adjust your pickup heights. Don't be afraid to try it. Just go slowly with small adjustments at a time. Then play it to see if the adjustments have improved the sound, or made it worse. Of course if it sounds great as it is, that's fine to. They don't need to be perfectly uniform.

Great looking bass, by the way! FWIW, I like it better with the pickguard on (although many T.B.'ers will go the other way on that argument! ;))

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    As stated, unless the strings volume is uneven, leave the pickup alone. If there's a problem, you can adjust it.