Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I a bad person for wanting a Mark Hoppus bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tekhna, Nov 10, 2004.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    A jazz with a P pup-That is damned cool. Although I am not sure I like the duncan in there, so I might take that out. And I might add a stacked jazz. So a precision deluxe in jazz form!

:( :meh:

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Yes. You are very bad.

3. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

That is what I was afraid of...
    What if I signed a sheet that said Mark Hoppus sucks, and the only reason I am playing it is the neck and pickup?

I suppose I could just mod an SX and it would be cheaper.

4. jazz3625tonic

jazz3625tonic

Sep 28, 2003
    Canada
    Yes. :eyebrow:

5. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    So all you really want is the Jazz body and are going to spend extra money on a pu? Go buy a Lakland Skyline Glaub and repent now ;) .

6. Educate me, please...what on earth is a Mark Hoppuss bass?

7. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
  8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Anyone who says you are a bad person for wanting a Hoppus bass is an idiot. Period.

If you want a cheap Jazz body style with a PBass pickup, then get one. It's that simple. If anyone is dumb enough to care more about the name associated with the bass than the bass itself, their opinion isn't worth much, and I consider them fools.

Have some balls and don't worry about what others think.

Although, it seems a bit silly to buy the bass in question if you plan on taking out the Duncan pickup and adding a jazz pickup. But, I can certainly understand since there aren't many P/J Jazz basses out there for cheap.

9. etherbass

etherbass

May 24, 2004
    just get a regular p bass man.. the mark hoppus thing is gonna pass. you get a good pbass and it will be awsome forever. great tone..more options..more versatilty, and probably taken more seriously by musicians. just my opinion though.

10. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I have one.... I picked up the body, routed it for a j pup, cut down the pickguard to match a j bass control plate.... Then I put a fender reissue j neck on it... added some hipshot tuners... wicked bass! Plus I wrote all kinds of stupidness on the back of it with a sharpie.... It looks very punk now.... I think Mark would be proud to play it!

If you look on the picture of the back of the body, see where it says "ooops?" That is where the drill came all the way through the body when I was drilling the hole for the j pup wire to the control cavity... just a little too much!

Play what you want... don't give one rat's bootie over what other people think...

P@

11. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    ...and the pic of the back!

P@

12. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    *resisting temptation to choke*

No, you're not a horrible person for wanting a Mark Hoppus bass. Same quality you get in any MIM instrument just 150 more. A P-bass will run you 380 and Basslines SPB-3 for $60. I think you'd be better off saving the money, or ordering a body from Warmoth.

*spits*

~Patrick

13. that is a very cool bass pmkelly
    looks 100x better than the original hoppus bass

14. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    On a French board, when Fender released the Blink 182 models, I remember I read a huge polemics around the Tom Delonge guitar.

My only advice is : Tekhna, if you like it, so get it, no matter what people say or think. That won't make you bad.

Cheers,
    JL

15. I dont think that wanting that bass is necessarily a bad thing, personally though I think it's lame when I see somebody In a band playing original material with an artist signature intrument. To me an artist instrument is more for show or playing in a group that does other people's material.

16. blaire

blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    Who cares what people think. Whats with all the anti-Mark Hoppus feeling anyway? If everyone had to ask everyone else what they thought about doing something bass wise and there were those kinds of attitudes to take into account it wouldnt make playing bass much fun at all would it? Freedom to do whatever you want! :bassist:

17. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    +1 for the "if you like it, get it" school of thought. If you like the J body look, P sound and the the feel of the neck (is it a P or a J neck?), it's an option. OK, it might not be a popular option because of the whole Hoppus thing, but hey - sound, look and feel; that's what's important in my book.

PMKelly: I like what you've done with yours!

18. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
  19. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Alternatively, I just saw in the new musiciansfriend catalog that Fender is rolling out a new MIM model called the Fender Deluxe Precision Bass Special

It's got:

P bass body
    J bass neck
    P and J pickups
    Active electronics

At 530 bucks, that's a pretty cool proposition.

20. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA