1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I a bad person?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Entwistle, Sep 19, 2008.

1. for deciding i like the pre shaped eq on my ashdown abm500 EVOIII?

i never had it on before, but about a month ago i decided i like it with my p bass and the drive up quite a bit.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You have to do what it takes to get the sound you like. Most of us run flat, but if it works for you to EQ, do what it takes.

3. uprightben

uprightben

Nov 3, 2006
    Boone, NC
    u r going to hell! straight to hell!

4. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    In a word, yes.

5. well, looks like its over for me then, i might as well just kill myself.

6. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Ummm... maybe that's what it's there for!

I don't know the laws in Auz but here in the states, EQ pre-shapes are still legal. Just like LSD used to be! :cool:

7. lol, i just feel i dunno, like im cheating when i use it lol. thats why i was asking what people thought and if neone else uses it.

8. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    I had an ol peavey rackmount at one point that I used the preshapes and loved it

Peavey and preshape EQ :bag:

9. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I don't mind preshaped EQ's if you can dial them in (like the enhance knob on Eden gear or the blend on a Sans Amp BDDI), but in my experience they quickly lead to complaints about your volume and you still not being able to hear yourself. I tend to think they are just there for bedrooms and for helping the retailers get the gear off their show room floor. A little bit goes a long way. Mids are what you hear when the band is going, low end usually just eats up your headroom and makes the room turn to mush. I find it better to let your solo'd tone slip just into ugly. Then you'll be able to hear yourself with minimal complaints about your volume. Surviving in ensemble usually means that you have to find yourself in the mix, not that you leap out and can't miss yourself. If you're that loud it means you're walking on somebody else.

In short, be prepared to dial it back if you're in a band because they'll probably ask for less you in the mix. Usually when they ask for "less bass" they can be satisfied by dialing back the low frequencies on your amp rather than turning down.

KO

10. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Before you do, send me your P bass.

11. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    There are some amps that sound terrible unless you do use the preset shape. I remember a number of Trace Elliot combos I played through were like that.

At very low volumes at home I turn up the "contour" control on my GK MB150S. At low volumes all amps tend to thin out to a certain degree. As the volume goes up I back off on the contour.

12. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    I loved the pre-shape on my ABM, I always used it.

Flat is so overrated anyway, and the "sounds great flat" fascination is kind of a mystery to me. Just turn all knobs until you're happy. :)

13. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    You have it backwards. You are not a bad person for liking the pre shape.

You like the pre shape because you are a bad person.

Glad I could clear that up.

14. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    You are on a righteous path, my child -- just never scratch your crotch in front of a nun. :rolleyes:

15. My Ashdown sounds better that way too so looks like i will be going straight to hell with you !!

16. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    wait a minute guys, I hate to tell you, you all have it backwards.

The OP is from Australia. Down there, having the preshape on does the exact opposite than it does in the Northern hemisphere. He's actually boosting mids.

17. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

Good point, hadn't thought of that. Their toilets swirl the other way too right?

18. Bet you didn't know that we string our basses upside down here as well...

19. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

This is what happens when you stand upside down all day...

PS. I also pushed that same button on my Hartke:bag:

20. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I had a Hartke Kickback15 that sounded like a$$ without the shape button pushed in but with it, it was a pretty good sounding little amp for what it was.