Am I a little... off?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SunShine, Jan 7, 2005.

1. I don't believe in drinking, drugs, smoking, or the "rockstar" lifestyle. People that do any of those things piss me off and I refuse to jam with them, is that wierd?
  2. Refuseing to jam with them might be a bit short sighted. Given that some of those druggie rockstars have written some of the best music ever (i.e. Jimi Hendrix, the Beatles, Ray Charles, Miles Davis, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc) you might be missing out on some very influential music. But if you don't want to drink, smoke, snort, inject, inhale, or swallow, that's your decision, and not a bad one, I might add.

Just don't think TOO little of those who do. They may end up being the ones with the stellar carrer.

Rock on
  3. Nah, that's not weird at all. I don't do any of those things, either.

I still play with people who smoke or drink, as long as it's not very frequent. I wouldn't jam with people who are into drugs, smoke incessantly, or have drinking problems, though -- the "rockstar" lifestyle, as you put it.
  4. That's cool, but many musicians do at least one of those. Many do it without any big problems. Of course, others cause problems. If you feel that way I think you should let it be known to the people you want to play with. They should be able to respect that, even if they choose to partake in their own time. It should never effect the music. If so, there is a problem.
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Not at all. This is very good IMHO. You don't want to surround youself with people that do things you don't like. Just try not to seem like you are condescending about it, and you will get along fine.

I will have to somewhat disagree with Eric here. I agree that a lot of good music has come from people under the influence, but there is nothing wrong with not being a smoker, drinker, or any of that. I quit a very fun band because I didn't like the drinking, or the pot smoking, or the smoking in general. Don't think you are missing out on anything just because you don't like playing music with people like that. I really admire that you know what you want. I don't believe it is short sighted at all. Drug use does not guarantee good music, nor does non-drug use. So, carve your own path, and enjoy life, and music, and stuff....
  6. (add Jaco to that list)

Very true, also.

The way I look at it is that those people use drugs as a source for inspiration. I wouldn't neccessarily associate drugs as making you play better. But then, that old joke comes to mind, where there's this drunk guy playing sax, and he's just ripping! It's amazing! After the show, someone from the audience asks him, "Wow, how did you play so well when you're drunk?" He replies, "I practice drunk."
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nope. I am the same way.

Well, they don't piss me off, but I do refuse to be in a band with people who do any of those. Sure, it limits my choices, but I have yet to have a hard time finding band mates who are like me.

8. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I fine with them as long as they

1. Shower
    2. Can play their instrument
    3. Facus and pay attention
    4. Don't do it all the time

Although it depends on what drugs they are doing.
  9. That's always the biggest question: what drugs are they on. Oh and... do they have any left?
  10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'll jam with anyone.

I don't like dealing with people into drugs and alcohol - but if it doesn't get in the way of their performance and the other responsibilities that go into a band, then I'll go with the flow. Our drummer drinks too much, but he's a great guy and always shows up when he says he's going to - on time. He broke his hand in a drunken fight about a month ago and has been out of comission - but we now have 3 kick ass stand in drummers so we don't miss a beat (pun intended). I guess that's part of what we're willing to deal with, and I can understand others saying no way. Good, punctual musicians, who are into what you want to play are often hard to come by and I won't limit my possibilites by making snap judgements. I also won't tolerate alcohol and drugs getting in the way of what I do.

I don't drink, smoke or do any drugs. I've drunk tons, smoked more, and took enough drugs to kill myself many times over. Life is waay more exciting and vivid without it all. As cliche as it sounds I really believe that drugs and alcohol are for people who can't, or are too afraid to handle life. I feel sorry for them.
  11. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Well I got the Drinking and smoking problem well not a real problem i don't get drunk every day, and i might have a beer here and there..Dont do drugs and don't live a so called "Rockstar Lifestyle".

I don't won't to play with burn outs. I have seen some guys that have a Sh*t load of talent just wast it away on drinking and drugs. They would also get so obnoxious to be around.

I find it kind of sad that my smoking and drinking pisses you off though.

Cheers. :)
  12. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL

Well said, Joe!
  13. Probably should have been a little more specific, my friends piss me off. They're pot smoking heavy drinking wanna-be hippies. Also most of them, for one reason or another, support the USSR. I think it's all the drugs they do.
  14. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    I remember when I was 16 or 17 a guy came and jamed with a band I was in, friends with the drummer. The guy was a guitar player in his late 20's early 30's he just acted strange. After he left I asked the drummer what was up with that guy. He said he is just burnd out, to much pot and drinking.

I also had friends like that in HS. Best thing to do is stop hanging around them, and find new friends. You can do like I did....I stayed home and practiced when I didn't fill like hanging out with them. I'd rather hang with myself then hang with people that have no direction in life except to get high.
  15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ahh, now: No 'stuff' for Sunshine, remember?
  16. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I don't mind whatever habits another musician has, as long as they don't get in the way of being a functional musician and person.

One of the only two (OUT OF LIKE, FIFTY) decent singers that auditioned for my old band, showed up for the first rehearsal after we hired him completely stoned. We fired him on the spot.

But I know a woman who was waaaaaaaaay more functional BEFORE she got off heroin. She clean now, but she's a mess. She ran a business while she was on the junk. I'm pretty sure that that ought to be impossible.

I don't smoke anything. I don't drink the hard stuff. I don't do any drugs that weren't prescribed to me. But I've played with people who did all of those things, occasionally simultaneously.
  17. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im same as you. My guitarist does that stuff and i dislike that about him and am getting him to stop. My girlfriend doesnt tolerate any of it either.
  18. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I can't remember a time when someone I played with sounded better when they weren't stoned or drunk, although they might have thought they sounded awesome.
  19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It's good, very good. I'm the same way... sort of. I don't refuse to play with stoners... it's really fun to jam with them. They can play one note, let it ring forever and they'll think it's the greatest thing in the world... and sometimes it is. :D

Don't discriminate too much, you might be passing up some great oppertunities. Just don't sacrafice your own beliefs and you'll be fine. Stoners are OK, lazy deadbeats who drag a band down are not OK. Drug related or no.
  20. When it comes down to it, in my opinion, a jam session is a jam session. I don't like the idea of people who are caught up with drugs, etc, but I don't mind those who occasionally indulge. It's not weird to feel a certain remorse, but I'd reconsider if it doesn't interfere. Again, a lot of great musicians use drugs, drink alcohol, etc. As long as you can work with them and the music is good, and there aren't any associated problems, it's all good.