Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I able to biamp with an SWR Workingman 2004 head and 1x15 & 2x10 cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Sep 17, 2003.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Hey guys,

Right now I have an SWR Workingman's 2004 head and 2x10 cab. I want to add a 1x15 and I was considering biamping. I was reading up on it and someone said that your amp has to allow biamping? I read the manual for the 2004 and it has no mention of biamping. Am I able to do this with my currant setup if I get a crossover?

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    you would need two separate power sources... either another head or combo, or a stereo power-amp (PA style: QSC, stewart, crown, crest, peavey, etc.)

some bass heads that do it are:
    eden wt 800, swr sm-900 and i think 500 but am not sure, hartke 7000 (cannot be bridged), and others i'm sure.

if you used a crossover with only one head, it would emit only the frequencies above or below where you had it set to crossover. ;)

:bassist:

3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    bah :( Oh well *lol*

4. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    Power Output
    - 160 watts RMS @ 8 Ohms
    - 200 watts RMS @ 4 Ohms
    - (Minimum Impedance 4 Ohms)

these are the specs for the power on your head. if you just want to add another cab (they will both get the same signal) then your head will handle it provided the 2X10 and the 15 are 8 ohm cabs. if they are both cabs would use 100watts each at 4 ohms when connected at the same time. You could go this route then add a stereo head for bi-amping (different signal to each) later.