Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I alone in doing this?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Mar 20, 2003.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hey, I wanted to post something I've been doing and wonder if other's have done the same thing. In the quest to learn everything I can about my instrument I wanted to more improvasational outlooks. One thing I noticed is a lot of custom bass manufactuers usually have sample mp3s posted at their websites. They also usually have very accomplished bassist playing on these tracks. I put two and two together and decided to download these tracks and burn them onto a CD for practice purposes. Since then, it's greatly helped me with new ideas. I simply figure out what they are playing. Instead of just learning it to have a new riff or groove to regergitate at a gig, I anaylze what they are doing harmonically, melodically, techinically, and rythmically.

Anyways, anyone else do the same thing?

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Do you mean does anyone else do the "anaylze what they are doing harmonically, melodically, techinically, and rythmically" thing, or does anyone else do the downloading-custom-manufacturer's-samples thing?

I've always done the "anaylze what they are doing harmonically, melodically, techinically, and rythmically" thing, but I don't think I've ever done it with sample MP3s from bass manufacturer's sites :)

3. simonrex22

simonrex22

Mar 2, 2003
    Yeah, i try to analyze what somebody is playing. Do this with the Beatles. They are very technically proficient. You could learn a lot.

4. the only one I did this with was the Rob Allen MB2 clip, in which the player starts out with sustained individual notes, then a fast classical riff, which morphs into a jazz walking line.
    I run through it from time to time as a sort of warmup exercise.

but I find it more rewarding for ear training/exploring the fretboard to work out stuff that wasn't played on bass- eg. piano, cello or violin, to avoid falling into the same fingering patterns. there's a lot of stuff I've unconciously memorised from when my big brother used to practise piano at home (I never learned piano)- eg. "the entertainer", various classical pieces, and to work out the melody by ear from memory I think helps a lot.

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That's what I meant. ;)