1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I alone in hating music before I love it?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, May 29, 2007.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Actually, there was mention of this in the movie "Mr. Holland's Opus" he was talking about how he got a Coltrane album and hated it, but kept playing it... then he loved it. So I guess I'm not alone... a fictional character agrees with this...

This happened to me a lot: Primus, Primus scared me the first time I listened to it... it was quite a while ago, but it was so weird: Tales From the Punchbowl. It was like a demented cartoon, it freaked me out. But I kept listening to it, then for about 3 years straight, Primus was all I listened to. (Predating my bass playing).

Death Metal: Cannibal Corpse use to (and really still do) crack me up. Then I noticed I kept listening to them, the joke faded to an extent. I began appreciating that they don't take themselves uber serious: They are just making a musical rendition of a ultra gorey horror flick. And the music is insane, such energy. I of course moved on to several other death metal bands.

on a side note:

Black Metal: It's completely different than death metal if you're a fan of metal at all. If you remember, a while back I had a "Does all black metal suck" thread. To me, it was just a huge reverbated mess. But on the side, I was getting into ambient music: Black Metal is ambient metal (the stuff I like at least), black metal is about creating a mood, unending grimmness: totally evil. Now, I listen to death metal less, and black metal more.

The latest hate/love relationship that is on the verge:

IDM (Intellegent Dance Music): I lumped all techno into one catagory, IDM is MUSICIANS making electronic music, not somebody just messing around on a computer until they come up with something mediocre. At first, I wasn't really into it, it sounded a bit like what some of my favorite prog bands were doing back in the 70s, but machines were doing it. But it's so concrete that they are allowed to take such musical risks, but it will sound right everytime due to the mechanical time keeping. Plaid, Autechre, and Squarepusher are the only ones I'm taking on right now because I'm just crossing over to not hating it.

But anyways: What bands/genres did you hate before loving?

2. No I do not think that you're alone in this. I do this all the time with music. I've hated so much different music til I sit down and listen to it. I then realize what I am missing and such. A lot of what I listen to today I was against in the past.

I really hated Hardcore/Metalcore style and eventually found myself loving it. Im even in a Hardcore style band...

3. I do that too. I end up judging music before I even hear it, so I don't take it all in. Then a week later i'll give it a full listen and love it.

4. Pete C

Pete C

Feb 23, 2007
    New York
    Every once in a while I will buy an album, toss it in the computer and listen to the majority of the songs until I get tired of them. Then months later I will revive the album and find that for no reason whatsover the song that I used to really dislike has grown on me. Your not alone.

5. My music tastes change constantly. I'll lose interest in certain groups I used to like (for example, Anthrax, mainly because I'm sick of the drama and was against the reunion) and find myself interested in bands that didn't interest me a few years ago (Faith No More, for example).

6. Happens all the time man. Both listening and playing.

I used to be a "metal only" player and now, I never play it. Still listen to it passionately but I prefer finding the heavy lines smattered throughout the genre's I do prefer playing, and paying audiences prefer listening to.

Given how rough I am while playing bass since I'm "metal", I also find I get more compliments from muso's today when applying my playing style to non-metal covers than I ever got applying it to the genre it featured heavily in :)

7. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm totally like that...

I used to say 'I hate metal', and now I find myself listening to it more and more..

I alos go in phases where I'll kill a CD.. then come back to it months or even years later and love it all over again.

8. I like a lot of stuff now that I wasn't always keen on, but I don't do that any more. I jump right into criticism mode when I hear something new, so everything gets a fair shake. If I can't explain in detail what's wrong with a song by the time it's over, I assume the odds are 50/50 that it's something wrong with me.

9. chaotick

chaotick

Aug 15, 2006
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    I'm absolutely like this. I can think of two examples right off-hand.

Propagandhi -- My friends were wearing the cd out and all I could think was "What is this BS? He is not even singing, he's just talking!" Then I started listening to the complexity of the music and reading the lyrics for the messages. Now I think they are amazing!

Hatebreed -- I used to laugh at the lead singer because he is so intense and hardcore in his vocals but after a while I realized that I really like it. It's not an easy thing to scream your head off like that for hours a day!

10. This is strictly not a genre, but I really used to dislike 80s music, all of it. I thought it was little more than cheesy keyboard tunes and even naffer lyrics. Then I discovered bands like Orchestral Maneuvres In The Dark and Depeche Mode. The deep meaning of the lyrics and the musical ability of these guys blew me away. Now I count bands like OMD, Depeche Mode, Erasure, New Order, the Smiths, and the Human League as my favourite bands.
    I also really used to dislike rock music as well. I got tired of the fretwanking guitar solos and sheer sense of overdoing it completely. Then I heard a song by the band Status Quo, In The Army Now, and i bought the album. it's now been played to death. More recently I discovered Rush and was completely stunned by Geddy Lee's bass style. So I'm warming to both prog-rock and rock.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021