Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

am i alone?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by pinkelephants, Aug 11, 2004.

1. pinkelephants

pinkelephants

Aug 10, 2004
    :help: dus evry1 know automaticly how to do slap bass?!! :confused:

2. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    You can't slap?! What are you doing in this forum?? ;) Seriously, it's a technique that some choose to use and others choose to avoid. There are several revered players (READ: James Jamerson, Hutch Hutchinson et. al.) that are not known for slapping. Without delving deep into a topic that has been covered ad nauseum, it's often a flashy (if not fun) technique that not everyone has in their arsenal.

BTW: If you can't slap and want to, there are several good instructional books/videos out there like these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...2056120/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/940220/

or try:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...1202056120/g=home/search/detail/base_id/43816

Louis' glasses are worth the price of the video alone.

3. No. Like any other technique, you have to learn it.

To learn correctly, I bought a Hal Leonard DVD called Slap Bass THE ULTIMATE GUIDE. It's taught by Ed Friedland. It's excellent because it gets right to the point...Teaching you Slap Bass technique. No more, no less.

He goes into great detail teaching you step by step how to hold the bass, where to put your thumb and fingers, how to EQ your rig for good slap tone, even tells you which strings sound best for slapping and popping.
    And the best part, the demonstrations.
    I highly reccomend this DVD.

After 2 months working with the DVD, I'm confident in my slap and pop technique and have incorporated it into one of my band's songs. We're not a funk band, but a little slapping never hurt anybody.

$20 and you'll be on your way to learning from Ed Friedland, a great columist in Bass Player Mag, and one of the best bassists around.

Good luck.

4. vcat

vcat

Jun 2, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Well there are very many ways & styles of slapping that everybody AUTOMATICLY knows. For example you can pick your bass up by the headstock, swing it a little and slap your guitar player or somebody else :D Beware though of consequences of such slapping - your bass might not last long, and you may put your life in danger. Another way would be to put your bass in to the corner and try slapping it with beer cans, chairs and whatever else you can get your hands on. That might not last for a long time either :D

Now if you're speaking about slap that people practice, learn and play in the Guitar Center :p , the answer of course is no. It is a skill that takes some time to master. You can find quite a few lessons on-line that willl show you how to start. Keep in mind though, that very many factors will influence your sound - your bass, strings, action, precision and what not. If you can't get the slap sound when you hear on the recording, maybe you just need a fresh pack of strings....

Good luck

VK

5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Yes, everyone knows how to slap at birth. You must be missing a chromosome or something.

Seriously though, Alexis Sklarevsky made a great slap bass video. Google his name and you should come up with it.

6. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    :scowl:

What has the Basses forum come to?

7. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    No but some of us can spell.

8. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Don't be so mean. Only 33% of his words were spelled wrong. Now if we include grammar I think you might have a case.

Me fail english? That's umpossible.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moved.

10. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Ralph is spectacular.

I don't care what anyone else thinks. I play with a pick. IMO it is better than slap or fingers.

If you want to learn slap, learn slap. If not, don't.

11. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada

But people say if you want to fit in here, you have to be mean to the younger guys. Well I am a young guy. Maybe thats why its not working out right :D

12. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Quiet youngun'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!