Am I an Idiot for spending this much $$?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OrioN_2k, Dec 19, 2001.

1. No go for it! You get what you pay for.

48 vote(s)
  2. Yes get something cheaper.

24 vote(s)
  3. You don't need a 5 string.

8 vote(s)
  1. Well here she is. This is the beast that I want. (At least I think. I'm playing a Piezo Verion later today.)

Perty aint she? Here's the kicker. It's $1600 with hardcase! Now keep in mind, that I mentioned in earlier post that I don't mind spending extra money for quality. So...................This being my first bass, am I a fool? Should I wait? Or go for it? I guess it still boils down to the "how does it sound/play/feel to you" question.
  2. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I'm sure you can get it for cheaper than 1600
  3. Perhaps but I don't know where. Music Man emailed me saying that the cost with Piezo was well over $2000. My local shop said $1600. Any of you that know stores in the Lincoln NE area aside from Omaha that are good, let me know!
  4. If it makes you happy, and you're happy with the deal go for it!! Then again I might just be saying that 'cos things like that cost a lot more in Europe so it seems like a pretty good deal!

5. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    I purchased a 5-sting MM w/piezo and vintage sunburst finish at a GC for $1600. I am still looking at what I could have bought used in that price range. It's only new till you leave the store with it. Keep in mind used 5 strings go for $900-1200 no matter what options they have. If you have tried her out already then more power to you. I' was thinking about putting a fretted neck on my MM5. But some discussion in basstalk said the string noise is terrible with frets. Just some things to consider. Good luck to you.
  6. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Contact They can sell you that bass for hundreds less. You can get it with the piezo bridge p/u's for about 13 and change, even if you have to special order.
  7. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    if you were italian that would have been the price: 2450$....
  8. Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    You can not go wrong with a Stingray 5 . I just got
    one for my 40th Birthday and it the best Production
    Bass I have ever played I did not get the Piezio though . My wife got it from Bass Central (Gard is the Man ) . And he gave her a great price (To low to mention here )
  9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    How long have you been playing?

If you are just starting to play (let's say a month or 2), I'd recomend something alittle less expensive. What if after you spend $1600 you don't want to play bass anymore? Something like an OLP Ray5, MIM Jazz V or somthing of that nature.

If you have been playing for a while, I'd say go for it. Music Man's aren't my favorite sounding basses but thay're EXCELLENT quality & the workmanship is second to none. They feel GREAT!!!!! They play great, etc!!!! :)

Good luck on your decision.
  10. I concur, if you're just starting out I'd either buy used, or check out an OLP Ray, they are really excellent basses for the $$.
  11. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The piezo bridge is the kicker. If you can do without it, the price should go down considerably.
  12. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Personally, I would NEVER spend that much money on a bass that I can get slightly used for a lot less.
    Examples: Alembic Essence $895. G&L 2500 $695. Custom Rick Turner Electroline $1295. Each of these lists for over $2000 new, and each was in such a good shape, that I couldn't really tell that they were used.

The only way I'd spend that much would be for a custom bass, built to my spec, and those you can get for less than $1600.
  13. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    You may not be an idiot for spending that amount of money on that particular bass. But you may be an idiot for asking for our opinions :D
    None of us can really say what $1600 means to you, it could be pocket change or an amount that will affect your budget for the whole year.
  14. OrioN_2K, if the bass is brand new, is EXACTLY what you want, and the cash isn't going to break you, I'd say go for it.

The quality will remain long after the price is forgotten, and, it will be your's, exclusively your's, and that's better than a warm blanket. ;)

Mike J.
  15. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I'd have to agree with what nino said.. if yu haven't been playing for very long, maybe you should go with something less expensive. Going all out on a bass with all the options isn't going to make you a good player.. many people here on TB started out with crap myself included and you eventually build up.. Start small. and build up if you are new to playing. it would be a shame to spend that much money on a ray and then en up not playing it. I do love the rays though.. especially mine :)
  16. I would check Washington Music Center in Maryland.
    I payed 1399.00 for my fretless with piezos (pic attached). If you have to order it expect to wait 5 months.

17. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Nino's advice is good, but if you're sure you can spare the $1600, I'd say there's nothing wrong with paying it - it's a great bass, and if you decide later you don't want it, I'll gladly take it off your hands! :D Having said that, I really think you should shop around a bit before you commit yourself, or see if you can find a used one in good nick. Either way, good luck with the bass and playing it in the future.
  18. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    If you know for sure that your commited to bass then go for it.....I'm never for buying cheap instruments...usually just turns you off, plus if you decide to get an OLP now and then get an MM5 it will cost the $300 dollars extra for the OLP that you will never play again....
  19. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    None of the 3 options for mr:
    the problem is not in the $$$$$$,
    but IN THE BASS!