Am I any good? (bass recording)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Fall, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Fall

Jun 22, 2004
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Instead of reviewing your abilities, I will review the clip.

The clip contains way to much repititive slapping, and I really don't care for your slap tone. Playing is clean, but boring. Try spicing the "piece" up a little, because after the first minute of that slap line, I lose interest.

Some ideas to experiment with
    1. Incorporate a key, tempo, or time signature change
    2. Try something other than slapping
    3. Double Track a duet bass solo, or add "rhythm" bass to accompany the existing track(s). One solo could be slapped, while the other could be tapped or played fingerstyle to properly differentiate between the two.

Hope that helps.
    Adam Barkley
  3. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    All in all not bad, but the timing seemed to move around a bit.
  4. Fall

Jun 22, 2004
    yeah I know the timing is far from perfect, I played bass when I was younger, and just recently picked it up again after a few years.
    but for some reason I have the impression my technique is better now.
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    As for your playing, it's obvious that you CAN play. As for the clip, the slap tone is a little harsh, but the actual playing isn't bad.
  6. Fall

Jun 22, 2004
    it's the first time I seriously recorded a bassline, so naturally the sound isn't that good.
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I haven't listened to it, but... I'm gonna have to say no.

I keed I keed.

What's good, what's not, it's a very subjective term. Work on your timing, eat your vitamins, get plenty bed rest, and in a matter time, you could be the next Cliff Williams
  8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Timing is slightly weird, but then again I don't hear drums or a click. Tone, subjective, I have no problem with it. I say good work, keep at it.
  9. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    i like it. The timing qworks otu though doesn't it? (even though it is a little weird or off ro what not) keep it up! What kind of bass was it recorded on? Oh and I like your slap tone.
  10. personally i think its really good, but barky has an idea, try changing keys, or chords, way to repetitive, but the playing as well as the piece itself is good.
  11. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Here is me not being nice:

Eh.. I won't include this.. :p

Me being nice:

Work on your ear a little bit, your a tad out of tune.
    Slap doesn't show greatness.. It's icing on the cake.
    Try to make the beginning riff a little more..err.. full
    Try experimenting with different pickup/EQ configurations to improve your tone.
  12. Fall

Jun 22, 2004
    Then why mention it? I know I'm not a bass god, I'm just someone without talent who's still doing his best to learn to play an instrument.

that's my greatest weakness, my ears suck. I have creativity, a strong desire to make music, a bit of rhythm, but no feeling for pitch or tuning. but I get manage, I guess.

but thanks for the advice.
  13. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Man I know how you feel. My ear isnt worth a large pile of poopsauce! What was so bad about your tone? Am I missing the point? And go tell Les Claypool he's TOO repetitive why don't ya?
  14. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    It just takes time, and you can train your ears, but that also takes time.
    As for the tone / recording, most engineers will tell you that bass is one of the hardest things to record, and to do that right also takes time.

As for being repetitive, despite what a lot of TBs think, bass is repetitive, I have yet to hear any form of bass playing that didn't sound repetitive [that is what we do]; and that includes improv. As a bassist you will at some point have to play that same pattern over and over again without time shifts, and that takes practice. KEEP IT UP, YOU WILL GET THERE. :bassist:
  15. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    "Am I Any Good?"

This would make a good title for your first album.

I'm downloading the file right now. :)
  16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    It's Barkley, punk :D. Get it right Micry. :D

Next you refer to me like that I will have to release the dogs on you. :eek: :ninja:
  17. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I was kidding :p
  18. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Everyone is telling you to work on your tone, but I love it. It's sounds like nothing I've heard before. You can play better than I can. You need to work on your timing though.

EDIT: I'm obsessed with your tone, what kind of bass did you record that with. It's very funky.
  19. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I think it sounds great man. Throw a band in with it, add their ideas, and you'll have a great tune!
  20. jm1

Nov 12, 2003
    To me it sounds a lot like a few Rickenbacker recordings I had a while ago.

I like the recording, the first slap riff is interesting.