1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I becoming a fan of P-bass tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SteveC, Oct 31, 2010.

1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have always liked a "jazz" bass tone. My trusty Yamaha 5 string has "jazz" pups. I've had many "jazz" basses. Lately, I have found myself rolling the balance to favor the neck pup for a quasi P-bass tone. Am I becoming a P-bass guy?

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Yes.

3. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    Yes, but it won't last.

4. Ebelow

Ebelow

Jul 27, 2008
    Campbell, CA
    Yes.
    happened to me too :smug:

5. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    You always were. You were closeted. It's okay. Come on out. That neck pup sounds pretty darn good n thick don't it? None of that nasally stuff. Go on and get a P. A J is just a P on a diet.

6. giacomini

giacomini

Dec 14, 2008
    Florianopolis - Brazil
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    Welcome to the club! :bassist:

7. pbass337

pbass337

Jul 9, 2010
    Reading, Ma
    yes!!! times a million

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    No not really imo. A neck J is diff from a neck P tone wise. Though a few neck J's have a qausi P sound to them. Myself I prefer single P basses with the pup more in the neck position rather then the trad mid position. And of course double P basses get time for neck and bridge accented as well as both pups on full.

9. Emm9T

Emm9T

Sep 28, 2009
    Holiday, Fl
    I find P's to cut through the mix a lot easier than my J so... it's pretty trustworthy. Just get a bass with 3 pups (J, P, Humbucker) like mine :D

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    P-love is in the air. Be like KJung and order a boutique P5.

11. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    You love the P.

12. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

Ah..hahaha... Just go on and grab a nice one. You won't regret it. If you have to...listen to some Jamerson, Wetton (King Crimson-'Larks Tongue In Aspic') or Geddy (early Rush) on the day before you buy it. You'll feel totally justified ;)

Rezdog

13. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    And me!

14. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Same here. Had to find one with a J neck before I was convinced though ;)

15. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Once you fall you wont go back.

16. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Same happened to me, I found that for the slow songs the neck pickup is the way to go , in my church gig that means 50% of the time, I decided that I MUST have a P.

17. treekiller

treekiller

Mar 4, 2010
    Iowa
    Yes. It's alright, all your friends are here........

BTW, start repeating to your self "I want Chromes, I want Chromes, I want Chromes"......

18. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    I'm having the same 'upgrade' myself. Just got my old Yamaha RBX170 and instead of favoring the J pup, I really enjoy the P pup.

My band on the other hand prefers me with a J tone, saying that me on a P sounds too... Muddy. We'll see.

19. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Well, if I could afford to be like Ken...;)
    I do need a 5 though.

I'd have to have rounds. A good portion of my playing is jazz, but more modern, less traditional, and I also play in church and a cover band so I think I'd keep it strung with trusty DR Hi Beams or Low Riders or something on those lines.

20. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Maybe. But it's not a problem if you are. Just go ahead and get a P or a PJ, or do a series/parallel mod on your J! Or be like me and do all 3! But I don't find myself reaching for that P/PJ much at all now that all of my passive J's have a series/parallel mod. :D

And before all you P fanboys start saying things like, "series/parallel doesn't at all sound like a P", please get yourself a J, do the mod, then set up your pups so that the output from each pup is just about equal... then come back and tell me whatever you want. But it works well enough for me! :cool: