1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I becoming a fan of P-bass tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SteveC, Oct 31, 2010.

1. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I'd prefer the sound of a reverse P to a neck J any day of the week.

In fact, my jazz bass only has a neck pickup cover - there's no pickup in the neck position.

2. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    I much prefer the P to the J, although I use both.

3. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder

Nov 1, 2009
    Here's an analogy:
    I love Zappa, prog, and fusion. But I got there after decades of liking and playing all kinds of music, which I still like.
    I have a few friends who started with the whole Zappa/prog/fusion thing and then moved onto all sorts of other intelletual and technical music. They have no knowledge or appreciation of the entire sweeep of popular music and song. They can't play most music genres convincingly, not even johnny b. goode.
    Playing/liking/owning a P-bass is akin to liking the great swath of music that used one. Not doing so, not ever getting it, seems unfortunate.
    J&P!! Or P/J. Your listeners and engineers will love you.

4. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    I don't see why so many bass players are surprised when they decide they like the sound of the Precision Bass. : )

It is the ORIGINAL and most recorded bass sound in history and is ingrained in us practically every time we turn on a radio or listen to a CD.

Welcome home.

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I tried to do a church gig with a P bass once and I didn't like it. That was a while ago. Maybe my tastes are changing. Of course, the neck pup is "good enough" I suppose and I can still have my "J" tones by rolling back. No expense, no new bass, and versatile.

I suppose ideally I could get a 34" scale 5 string with P/J pickups and an active preamp with bypass so I can have old school passive P and modern active J and everything between.

Sounds like a Sadowsky Matro P/J 5 for me. :ninja:

6. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    Get a P-bass Special/Deluxe.

This is arguably Fenders best bass. It has the "smaller" P body with the classic P pickup in the middle position, along with the J neck and J pickup in the bridge. It truly is the best of both worlds. You can't lose, and the Squier version is under $300!

7. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Definitely cheaper than Sadowsky! Maybe I'll do a search...

8. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Or you could buy my Lull passive PJ5 and use a Sadowsky external pre with it.

:bag:

9. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I wouldn't mind going to a passive bass. I would look seriously at your bass - except it's 35" scale.

10. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    True - that I can't change. I actually have transitioned to all 35" scale (except for the Mouse) without issue but everyone is different.

11. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    It sucks. I have tried many 35" scale basses - Roscoe, Modulus, Lakland - and they all were uncomfortable to me. I wish Lull and Roscoe and others did a 34" 5 string.

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Steve, you like Yamahas, so get a BB415 or a BB425 if they are in the states now. The BB415 is about $450 new and is a seriously nice bass. The BB425 has a five piece neck and I think it runs around $665.

They have 17 or 17.5mm spacing, but I had absolutely no problem playing mine at all.:)

13. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    019-0460-706.jpg

14. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Not a bad idea...

15. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Which Roscoe did you try? I first got an LG and loved the tone but could not get comfortable on it. Same with an SKB. The third time was the charm - Century. Reasonable reach to the neck either sitting or with a strap, and hangs nicely. The string spacing is about 18mm (same as my RA - my preferred spacing). I've got a second Roscoe on order I liked it so much. That said, a bit part of that is that I've got the RA for the "upright" vibe. For my other basses I wanted something more aggressive. From a playability standpoint I don't notice much difference between the Lull and my ex-Sadowsky. But I'm giving up "classic"

lull2.jpg

for "cuts like a knife"

cs1.jpg

16. phall2112

phall2112

Dec 31, 2008
    Me 2. Just bought an 80's Yamaha BB with a backwards p. Damn i love it.

17. johnboy65

johnboy65

May 22, 2009
    The greater question is why wouldn't you be?

18. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    The 35" scale keeps me from a Roscoe Century. Great basses.

I'm guessing I'll have to just do the front pickup thing for when I want that kind of tone. I need to get my amp situation figured out first.

19. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I keep going back to a Highway One P locally that I really like. The neck is so nice, as is the tone, and it's REALLY light. I think I can get by just fine with a 4 string, but I can't decide P or J. I've been a J guy for so long, it's hard to go with anything else...except I like the sound of this a lot.

I think a P would work for 95% of what I do actually. There's some contemporary jazz (Yellowjackets type stuff) and maybe stuff at church that would be better suited to a J and maybe even a 5, but again, like the B string, do I play a J because of the 5% or switch to P and be happy for 95%...hopefully.

Just don't know what to do. I like my current bass, but I just think I'd like to try something different for a while, you know.

20. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I've gone full circle. Started along with a P type bass then went to a Jazz Bass, then a Stingray and now, 40 years later it's P BASS all over again and I'm happier than ever!. Still keep a Jazz Bass but the P gets 1st call!