Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I becoming better

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JustOpenYourMind, Mar 15, 2002.

1. just joking, I'm now proud to say that I don't need or like to use picks anymore.

I was playing with my band and figured that fingers sound so much better.

:D

my 2 cents

2. Losing a pick doesn't mean you're getting better, just means you've changed your style.
    You can do somethings better with picks, and somethings better with fingers. Still, its good you're expanding your technique.

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    About expanding your techniques:
    With the plectrum bit, try to use different thicknesses, try using different consistancies, eg, i brough a big fluffy plectrum that is used on harpischords. It makes the sound more like finger style.

:p:D
    -Phill

4. Keep the pick.

I have always played with fingers but still practice with a pick every once and a while just to keep another skill at hand.

5. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Anybody ever seen a felt pick for bass? I swear I have seen them a long time ago when I was a wee lad. But not since?

I usually finger pick but will use a pick if I think the original was done with one and I want to duplicate the sound./feel.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    About the felt picks---
    They're mainly used for Ukeleles and other nylon-stringed instruments, but alot of bass players have used them. I have a few, but don't use them as much as a standard pick. When I use a pick it means I'm after that bright, biting attack, but the felts soften it up quite a bit. Much warmer and smoother sound. On my Jazz I can actually get a more "pick-like" sound with my fingers than I can with a felt pick. Wierd. Anyways, just thought I'd offer my experience.