Am I being foolish or shortsighted?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by butchblack, Sep 4, 2010.

1. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    Long story sort of short.

I just got an invite to join a start up band, which I'm passing on. The pluses are the 2 guitarists and the sax player are good, my level or better, they are playing music I like and play well (Blues, blues/rock & old school R&B) and the sax player is supposed to have some connections and paying gigs lined up. The reasons I'm declining are that I'm already in a band that I like, that at 59 with a FT job I don't have the energy to rehearse with 2 bands weekly, both rehearsals are about a 45 min. drive away for me, and the 2 guitarists, double as vocalists, both are passable but not great. I could use the extra $ but not at the cost of burnout or affecting my health.

Any thoughts?

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I think that for us day jobbers, we have to know our limits, and it means that we won't be able to jump at every band / gig that comes along. I've had to make the same hard choices.

3. do both bands and can the day gig ?
    at 59 your 3 years away from being able to collect s.s.
    and enjoy your new full time musical life. just a thought.

4. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    If you think you can't do it, don't. I think it all depends on how much you like your current band, and how good you think that the new band may come to be.

5. jazzblade

jazzblade

Jun 21, 2005
    Northern Cal
    " A Mans go to know his limitations" ​
    Only you know what they are.
    If you said no, there was a good reason, don't look back.

6. I think you're right in passing if you feel time is tight.

Its been my experience when I take up too many bands I start to resent the time commitment required and that ain't a good place to be...

7. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Sage advice here. I don't think you're being shortsighted. There's only so many things you can do - do the ones that work out best for you.

8. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    Considering the facts listed in your post, I don't see any way your decision could be deemed foolish or shortsighted. Nothing wrong with passing if you're happy where you are.

There's the keynote. Some of us are passing through the valley of the shadow of no gigs right now. Count yourself lucky. :D

9. Are you happy with your current band? If so, enjoy the one you're already in and don't worry about it.

10. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    You know, so many people (including me) are coming in on one side.
    I'll put in some points for the other side so you can consider if you're truly being shortsighted.

Dude, everyone knows that only crappy musicians play in only one band. If you're any good, you have to play in several.

Like, if you're a real man, your family just has to deal with how much you do and how often you're gone. If not, you should just be gone. F** them.

More bands gives you more chances to get laid with totally desirable girls like you see in beer commercials. They're in every bar. AND they drink cheap beer.

You can sleep when you're dead.

There - some opposing points of view.

11. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    If you don't have the time then you don't have the time. Simple, ain't it? lol

12. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    The less time you waste driving, the better. 1.5 hours round trip to rehearsal, to me, is too much. To double your driving time is, IMO, not worth it.

13. This would be my feeling. 45 minutes would be about the upper limit I'd be willing to drive for a band practice. I wouldn't want to do that more than once a week at this point, either.

I used to be in a band where I was doing that drive, and it was really getting to the point where it wasn't worth it. Then the band decided to move to a new practice spot that would have been a TWO HOUR drive, one way for me. And the band leader wondered why I quit...

You know your limits and your other obligations. It sounds like you're making the mature and responsible decision.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021