1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Am I being overly paranoid?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by odarellmc, Aug 3, 2012.

1. odarellmc

odarellmc

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
    just purchased this MIM Jazz Deluxe on 7/11, I've just noticed this cracks in the wood under the finish, should i be concerned?
    i know you guy are a lot more experienced me, so hopefully you can provide some insight thanks.

7707115470_273cfcd186_b.
    jazz cracks? by odarellmc, on Flickr

7707117086_dd548a3ba3_b.
    Untitled by odarellmc, on Flickr

7707134666_87b7fd1a89_b.

7707133550_0c64aeced2_b.

2. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Where did you buy it? Is it returnable?

3. odarellmc

odarellmc

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
    yeah its returnable, you think i should return it?i know i should have kept the boxes, i bought it online at american musical supply...

4. WavyGravy

WavyGravy

Jun 11, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hmm. I have this on my bass as well. I always thought it was the grain or something, is this bad?

5. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    How does it play and sound?

If you really like that keep it. the next one may look nice but not play and sound nice.

That is just cosmetic. The MIM burst's have a veneer top on them.

6. odarellmc

odarellmc

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
    well im new to the bass, sound fine to me, but i dont have the skills yet to determine, if it sounds like it should...

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I would not be even slightly concerned.

8. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Nothing to worry about - it's just the grain pattern in the wood.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

9. odarellmc

odarellmc

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
    interesting because it looks to be going against the grain, but ill follow the concensous that this is nothing out of the norm, thx!

10. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Cracks? What cracks?

11. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    You are not looking at the body.
    The MIM's use 4-5 piece alder body's. On the 3t burst they put a thin veneer over it so it looks nice.

12. odarellmc

odarellmc

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
    you keep saying veneer, is that the same as urethane, becuase thats whats on it, and i couldn't imagine it being any thicker, the american standards must really get a double coat, i thought the body was made out of one piece of wood...

13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

In short yes... you nutbar...

14. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    No, a veneer is a very thin piece of wood like they use on cheaper furniture to make it look nice. That is what Fender does on the MIM models. If you look at a 3T burst on a MIA Fender you can see the 2 or 3 pieces of alder glued together to make the body. On the MIM they use 4-5 pieces of lower grade alder glued together. On the solid color basses they just paint over it and you never see it. If they did that on a burst finish it would look like crap so they glue a thin sheet of nice alder on the top and paint the burst on that. Notice that you can not see any seams? It isn't a one piece body.

15. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's grain pattern, I have a similar pattern on my new AVRI 62 Jazz. I actually rather like the way they look, makes it sort of distinct.

16. Veneer is a thin layer of wood.

17. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yep, and in any case those lines are normal in alder; nothing to worry about at all.

18. odarellmc

odarellmc

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
    thx hdracer, that was super informative, you really taught me something new, it makes sense now. im glad i brought this topic up...

19. odarellmc

odarellmc

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
    thx to the rest of you guys for your insight...