1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Am I being paranoid on craigslist!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wnelson, Apr 27, 2009.

1. wnelson

wnelson

Aug 15, 2007
    dallas,tx
    ok so I posted my conklin gt7 on craigslist....ive had a few replys that all seem weird...every one of them ( 4 emails) referred to to bass as ''item"...which i thought was strange..and they all asked the same questions..and wanted my name,address,and number......so i picked one to respond back to and mentioned that i will not ship due to limited time,and that its only for local pick up and i will not accept checks....this is the reply I just got:

''Thanks for your quick response,I just view the item again and its okay by me and will like to proceed with the payment.
    I will be more than happy to issue a certified endorced cashiers check to you today via ovenight delivery and i will need your
    NAME,ADDRESS and PHONE NUMBER to write the cashiers check out.
    And concerning the shipping i will handle the shipping via my shipping company so all i need to do now is to send you a
    cashiers check of excess fund to cover the cost of purchase and the shipping cost so you can deduct your money and send
    the excess to my shipping who is currently in bay area for the pick at your residence after the cashiers check must have clears
    your account to my house here in Florida.
    Please kindly proceed and delete your advert on craigslist if this is okay by you .....''

Maybe Im just paranoid.....i dont know,....what do you guys think?

2. stylonpilson

stylonpilson

Jun 30, 2008
    Reading, UK
    Definitely a scam.

S.P.

3. LeftyJack

LeftyJack

Feb 23, 2006
    San Carlos, CA
    It's a classic scam. Check Craiglist's faq's and I think that you'll find information on this scam. Don't do it!
    Jack

4. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    its a scam, your not being paranoid. you get a lot of those if you leave your email address on the post.

5. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    scam, just delete it.

i buy and sell on CL all the time and 90% of the time the other person doesnt even know my last name.

6. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    Scam.

And you can never be too paranoid on Craigslist.

7. You are not being paranoid.
    The check will be way over the asking price. If you proceed to cash the check and send them the difference, the check will bounce and they will have your money.
    This is a fairly common scam.

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Just keep cool, tell 'em to buzz off unless they're willing to meet you and pay cash. Simple!

9. wnelson

wnelson

Aug 15, 2007
    dallas,tx
    yea it figures....thats why i trust you guys to set it right..:D

that sucks too.....i was really hoping for a quick sell locally....i need to become a supporting member so i can sell it on here instead..

10. woo10

woo10

Feb 22, 2004
    Sorry to go on a tangent. But do you care to tell us how? Can't they just read it off the shipping label? How do they transfer the payment, Paypal to an e-mail address?
    I considered CL as an alternative to ebay but was and is still paranoid about privacy issues.

11. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Definitely a scam. You can tell by the terrible spelling, the stilted English and the fact that he has a "shipping company." Also, his sending a check with "excess funds" that you have to send the extra back to his "shipping company" is a dead give away.

12. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR
    The usual "Nigerian Scam". Now this first did originate in large numbers from Nigeria, but now hundreds of thousands of people try to pull this one every day from all sorts of countries.

It is funny, there is a website with a group that specifically tries to scam the scammers and waste their time so they can't catch someone else who may actually fall for it.

http://www.419eater.com/

13. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    :eek::eek:

So why would they need your address and phone number to write a cheque :confused:

SCAAAAAAM!

14. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Endorsing: JH Audio IEMs
    He means that he meets the buyer in person and exchanges the goods and cash right there.

15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I don't know how HE does it, but I just meet and sell in person. And he's right, most of the people I have bought from/sold to don't even know MY last name. They probably forgot my first name as they were driving off.

To the OP... It happens to me every time I post on CL. Just delete it and try for a local sale.

16. wnelson

wnelson

Aug 15, 2007
    dallas,tx
    thats the only way ill do it....which sucks because it wont sell as quick but at least it'll be honest..

17. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I noticed the same thing when I put my Conklin up. I've never once had this issue with any other gear, just my Conklin GTBD-7 (that nobody will effing buy!).

Definitely a scam. They print up fake cashier's checks and send them to you, hoping that you'll stupidly send them the difference before it bounces.

18. bass player 48

bass player 48

Nov 17, 2008
    It's a scam.

Also, if some kids call your house and ask if your refrigerator is running, that's a prank phone call.

;)

19. Become a contributing member here & you will rarely have these issues.

20. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    For CL I only do local in person exchanges. Ebay and talkbass are the only places I buy/sell from private parties online.