1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I Being Played?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Garagiste, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Garagiste

Garagiste

Feb 16, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    So I share a rehearsal space with some guys in one of my bands and I leave a rig there (Markbass LM III and MB 4x10). When I have gigs that don't have a back line I'll use this rig but most of the time it lives at the space. I pay $100/month. One of the guys in the band I play with at this space is in three other bands that also use this space and he uses my gear. So far there have been no issues, the gear is always left clean. And I don't think anyone is cranking this rig or playing at peak levels. But I feel like I'm being taken advantage of since none of the other bassists using my rig have to bring anything, I also have a bass there that is probably being used, I'm getting no money from this deal, and the wear and tear on my gear is increasing because of people I don't even know. Can a cab or head get worn or damaged just from normal use? I know tubes need to be replaced occasionally but the tube in this unit is a gimmick more than anything else. Curious to hear other people's thoughts.

ed morgan likes this.
  2. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    You are far more trusting than I am.
    Your gear, your decision. But if it ends up damaged or stolen don' t expect anyone to admit to being responsible or help repair/replace it.

3. the_stoot64

the_stoot64

Mar 8, 2015
    Australia
    I'd ask each band to throw in an extra $5 to use your gear. If it goes missing, inform all bands there is security footage and no questions will be asked if it is returned ;)

PortlandBass77 likes this.
  4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I wouldn't be leaving my stuff there, especially a bass. It's not your job to supply top-name gear for other players to use. If they want to play so badly, they can buy their own equipment - just like you did.

As mentioned before, if someone else using your stuff causes damage or breaks it, everybody that was using it will become deaf, dumb and blind about the subject if asked.

5. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    Sounds like you just want them to appreciate that you're doing them a big favor. Pull your stuff out of there every few weeks if that's the case. That will make them realize how sweet a deal they've got.

Personally, the only thing I might leave there would be a cabinet, and only if my bandmate verbally assured me that he would be responsible if anything happened to it.

TinIndian, rockinb, hufe and 5 others like this.
  6. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays...

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    If they are paying the same rate as you, AND getting to use your gear for free, then yes, you are being taken advantage of, just a little bit...

7. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I would never leave gear there that I cared about. We always just practice through some old monitors anyway, so I don't have to bring anything except a DI. But anything I bring to our rehearsals I take home......

theduke1 likes this.
  8. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    Repeat- "Never leave the head." Why leave a light head that you can pack up in two minutes flat? (I used to own a Markbass LMIII head as well- and I could setup my whole rig (two cabinets) in 5 minutes. The cabinet- that is a little more acceptable to leave, but if it is in new condition, I wouldn't leave that either.

9. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    I never leave stuff in a rehearsal space that isn't someone's house. I have a rig at one of my churches and even that is just because I have every reassurance from the pastor that any other church or event that uses the space has a significant security deposit they lose if anything is damaged and have seen him collect on it. Even then I still pack up the head and cables after each service in a locked closet.
    I wouldn't leave anything there, and I don't know your situation or if your avoiding aggravating a condition or anything, but hell yeah you're being taken advantage of. Every band pays the same but you provide a rig? No way José id be asking for a big ol discount or packing it up every week, cause one week those lovely yellow speakers might have a coke stain, or the head is short a knob or the rig is short a head. And when you're looking for someone to blame its just gonna be you, unless mister or miss amp vandal is a reeeeeeally stand up guy or gal.

LiquidMidnight, walterw and Oddly like this.
  10. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    After 25+ years of leaving cabs in rehearsal spaces, I finally had one damaged and -- big surprise -- nobody owned up to it. I have never left an amp or a bass behind... Way too easy to fence that stuff. Life goes on, though.

11. It seems like I have read this exact same thread 4 or 5 months ago....

12. You're getting played and so is your gear!!Be nice but don't be a doormat.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

DUDE!! Please stop leaving your gear for others to use! Please stop it! Stop it now! Amp and bass stay with me always!

Munjibunga, Oddly, punchdrunk and 3 others like this.
  14. pauljude

pauljude

Mar 6, 2014
    oswego ny
    Nope....hands off your gear I say. You want to play, bring your own stuff. There is a time and place to let someone use something, but not on a regular basis. I've dealt with that same scene.

15. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Small enough head to take with you. Why leave it. Takes about a minute to hook it up.

I usually stack two cabs for gigs. I'll keep one at home and the other at the rehearsal space (my drummer's house).

I'll take my head and cables with me (iAmp 800) though.

16. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    I'd not leave nice gear behind. If carrying your equipment in and out is impractical, I'd consider getting a cheap (but decent) cab or even combo for the rehearsal place. Perhaps even get the other ones using it (or your bandmate) to chip in...

17. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Hells to the no would I be leaving my stuff there! I think the head would be ok, but it would be easy to mess up the cab and bass without much trying. I leave my stuff occasionally at out practice spot, in a band members house, but wouldnt if I thought someone else was using it. I would either charge others a small usage amount or leave nothing there at all. If it breaks who is going to own up to it? Thats right, no one.

18. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    I wouldn't worry about the gear, I'd do the math and wonder why I'm paying $100/month while sharing a space with 12-16 other musicians.

19. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    All this..... I would never leave a head .. or any other equipment that I would not be too upset if it got stolen or damaged.. and unless that space was $1600 a month I'd be highly suspect as far as the cost goes.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  20. DudeMann

DudeMann

Sep 8, 2013
    This is just me, but i never leave my gear anywhere that is not a friends house and even then I am very cautious. I do not like people touching my stuff without me being there. I ABSOLUTELY would not leave my bass anywhere though.

To answer your question, I would feel very taken advantage of. I would just take your rig home with you one day so the other dudes would get the hint.

theduke1 and rtav like this.