1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Am I being Scammed on eBay?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jrod4928, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Jrod4928

Jrod4928

Jan 23, 2021
    I think I'm being scammed...... sold a bass on ebay last week. Shipped on Saturday. Delivery was scheduled for Wednesday but UPS said the address was incorrect and went back to warehouse. I reached out to the buyer to see if they contacted UPS to arrange for delivery, and they chose to pick it up at the UPS facility on Thursday. They were happy and claimed it was for the dad. Didn't open it until today - when they opened it they said they received an Ibanez acoustic (pictures provided)......... I shipped with UPS confirmation and insurance.

What BS is this? Are they scamming me? Did someone at UPS pull a switcheroo on Wednesday after the "address was wrong"?

What can I do?

Mod edit: Resolved. See post #22

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2021
    Ellery likes this.
  2. boing

boing Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2004
    CT, USA
    Did you call UPS?

SpanishDave and BrentSimons like this.
  3. Jamarvic

Jamarvic Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    curious to see how this is resolved. Good luck OP.

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. Jrod4928

Jrod4928

Jan 23, 2021
    Haven't contacted UPS. I have a local friend who is a police officer. Considering filing a report

mb94952, fhm555 and Tbone76 like this.
  5. boing

boing Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2004
    CT, USA
    Guess what the first question he will ask will be?

6. Jamarvic

Jamarvic Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    was it a PayPal confirmed address? If so then somethings not right on the other end.

7. Jrod4928

Jrod4928

Jan 23, 2021
    Keep the snarkiness to a minimum. I'm dealing with nearly a $1000 scam here.

mb94952, fhm555, Tbone76 and 2 others like this.
  8. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Whoa, weird, ask them send you a screen shot of the label on the package they took custody of from UPS make sure they got the right package? Maybe an honest mistake? Good luck.

9. Jrod4928

Jrod4928

Jan 23, 2021
    I reached out to UPS..... the buyer is going to send me photos of the packaging. See if it matches up.

The bass was double boxed. Wondering if someone switched the boxes....

10. Jrod4928

Jrod4928

Jan 23, 2021
    The inner box that is

11. Jrod4928

Jrod4928

Jan 23, 2021
    It was

Obese Chess, AudioTaper and dkelley like this.
  12. asparaguspee

asparaguspee

Sep 10, 2020
    Australia
    Chances are the buyer is full of :poop:

Obese Chess, eadg98005 and Aqualung60 like this.
  13. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Yes. Everyone gets scammed on EBay. What was the question?

GravyGoodness likes this.
  14. Jrod4928

Jrod4928

Jan 23, 2021
    I agree, typically. But the buyer has been cooperative and sending many many photos.... not sure what's up yet

dkelley and asparaguspee like this.
  15. asparaguspee

asparaguspee

Sep 10, 2020
    Australia
    So true. The seller fees are so exorbitant now I've vowed not to sell there.

Butch Bobcat, Alik and Killing Floor like this.
  16. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    I didn't get past the thread title, yes.

17. fat_nermil

fat_nermil Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    Did you take it somewhere like a UPS Store to have packed? I ask because of your comment about the inner box being swapped. If that’s the case, maybe that store be of assistance. They should know if they packed and shipped that Ibby.

Killing Floor likes this.
  18. Jrod4928

Jrod4928

Jan 23, 2021
    Based on photos they sent, the inner box wasn't swapped. The box was opened and contents were swapped at some point, by someone...

19. Jrod4928

Jrod4928

Jan 23, 2021
    No I packaged it myself. I reused boxes from the Fender PJ bass I just bought.

See my previous post for other answers to your questions

fat_nermil likes this.
  20. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    Well, once it's shipped Ebay has nothing to do with it, so the answer to the headline question is no. So is the buyer scamming you? If they have a guitar you never saw before and you have the money, the scam seems weak at best. The likeliest scenario is that someone at UPS threw the wrong box at them. If that's the case it'll be easy to resolve.

Butch Bobcat, bassista6 and Fenwick like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021