Am I Being Too OCD? (Gretsch Truss Rod Cover Involved)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jeremy Crockett, May 14, 2021.

1. Jeremy Crockett

Jeremy Crockett Supporting Member

A few weeks ago I picked up a Gretsch G2622. The truss rod cover is a plain two-layer B&W affair. It seemed like a cool idea to get it engraved with the model number so, I took the truss rod cover to a local trophy engraver to get it engraved Friday of last week.

I received a call yesterday that it was ready for pickup.

When I showed up at the shop this morning, this is what awaited me:

G2622_TRCover_1280.jpg

While I really love the font, the text is not centered on the cover, and to my way of thinking, this does not look right. I assumed (yes, there is that word) that an engraver would center the text on a piece without having to be told to do so.

I did pay the $10 for the work, I did not say anything about it because I was not certain that I would be making a big deal over a little thing.

So, I thought I would seek impartial opinions. Am I being too "OCD" about the centering of the text? It's not like this is an expensive endeavor, but $20 is $20 so maybe I just live with it?

I thank you for your indulgence.

fhm555 likes this.
  2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Looks fine to me. You'd have to measure in 64ths of an inch to know differently.

Yes, you're WAY too picky about this.

3. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    I’d be fine with it.

kobass, mcnach, JRA and 4 others like this.
  4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    No. You shouldn't have to tell an engraver that the text ought to be centered, and if the engraver is aware that there are any number of possible locations for where the text could go then it is incumbent on them to ask where you want it before they start working.

I'll concede that it doesn't look too bad, but it definitely looks off-center to me, and that would drive me batschidt.

btw, did the engraver ask you what font you wanted or did they just select that one on their own? Because that would drive me even more nuts if I wasn't at least given the choice.

Bruno1950, dkelley, MattZilla and 2 others like this.
  5. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Go back and have him add "By Gretsch" in the remaining blank space.

6. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    No you're not being too "OCD", he should have centered the text IMHO. :)

7. How’s it look installed?

Herrick, smogg, teh-slb and 7 others like this.
  8. Gustopher

Gustopher Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2018
    SWVA
    Eh, I think it will look great, the lettering looks really nice.

9. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    nice font, but (IMO) moved over to the right about 6mm would be more perfect

Rabidhamster likes this.
  10. Jeremy Crockett

Jeremy Crockett Supporting Member

I will find out when I get home from work this evening.

krfoss and Rabidhamster like this.
  11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I don’t have any say on what words anyone should or shouldn’t use. But if you’re interested, I recommend looking up what Obsessive Compulsive Disorder actually is, how not funny it is, and how truly miserable it can make someone. It might make you rethink your choice of colloquialisms.

Herrick, dutchwife, bigthemat and 7 others like this.
  12. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Isn’t one of the OCD subtypes focused on order and symmetry, though?

But I agree not just for the sake of order and symmetry in and of itself, but as a way of coping with anxiety.

If the OP is just being picky, yes, that’s a different thing.

13. The photo is at an angle rather than from straight on so it is a little hard to tell if it is not centered between the curved sides (if that is what you are in reference to).
    The first thing that caught my attention is the size of the engraving, but can't really judge properly until it's in place.

14. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It can be. But it can be debilitating and painful and make it impossible to live a normal life. I stopped using OCD colloquially when I learned what it really is. Anyone is free to use the words they wanna use.

15. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    It's engraved to the center of mass.
    upload_2021-5-14_13-52-38.jpeg

dutchwife, HCF, Fialka and 1 other person like this.
  16. Liam Wald

Liam Wald Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    California Coast
    Yes. Way too OCD. Life is much too short to obsess over something as insignificant as this.

17. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    If offcenter is good enough for Gibson, I'd say it's good enough for your Gretsch. :thumbsup:

IMG_3016.jpg

18. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    I think it looks good as is. It could be over to the right a tiny bit, but it's an artistic choice. For a trophy engraver not really into guitars and maybe not totally understanding what its intended to go on, taking it as just a little piece of plastic with one end rounded off, I think their choice of weighting the text slightly to the left makes it look more balanced.

What is the little black smudge on the G?

I think it looks good, I also don't think it's gonna be worth complaining. I also doubt the shop would be willing to work with you again if you complained or had not paid, whether or not they made a mistake. I think the terms are different for user-supplied materials - you get what you get as well as they can do it. $20 is a lot but it also isn't. If you want to do it again you'll probably have to pay and be very specific, but if it still doesn't come out exactly right I doubt they'd try again on anything else without getting paid.

The stuff they supply has all been rigorously indexed with the engraving machine already. Placement of user supplied stuff is a little hit or miss, if you wanted to avoid possible misplacement you'd probably need to supply scrap pieces and pay for a few of runs.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    bassface69 likes this.
  19. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    i just say 'o.c.' because i don't have the debilitating and painful disorder bit.

20. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    t.r.c. looks fine to me, but i didn't pay for it and don't have to live with it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021