Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I being unreasonable with this online parts dealer? www.customshopparts.com

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Jan 14, 2004.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I ordered a 5 string fat pole bass pickup (similar to MM pickup) from www.customshopparts.com on 12/12/2003. Supposedly it was mailed out Priority Mail on 12/19/2003. I do realize because of the time of season there could be a delay.
    Now…I had it shipped to a coworkers house to keep my wife from jumping my butt because of my bass expenditures over the years. My coworker lives in a very suburban “safe” neighborhood. As of 01/14/2004 the pickup has never arrived.
    The internet contact has assured me he sent the pickup. He also explained that he showed the pickup as “delivered” so he could not give me a refund but he would send me another pickup as soon as he receives another shipment. This is most definitely acceptable accept for the fact that my luthier has jobs lined up and needs to finish mine asap. So I decided to go to another source (WD Music Products) and also ask the internet contact at Custom Shop Parts for a refund. The internet contact refused to refund the money because he showed the pickup as delivered. I asked the IC if he is showing the pickup as “delivered” could he please give me a date of delivery. I’ve yet to receive a response to that particular question. I have to give IC credit, he is willing to replace the lost pickup but at the same time it will be too late, I’ll already have my Kent Armstrong MM pickup from WD Products shipped here and installed by the time the pickup from Customshopparts gets here. Basically I’ll have a pickup I don’t need and will be out $57.00.
    I understand him wanting to replace the pickup (good customer service) but I’ve got no more time to wait and have already ordered my other pickup. I expect a refund seeing that I’m out $57.00. Maybe my expectations are a little high? I don’t know…feel free to comment. This wouldn’t be an issue if I had the time to wait on another pickup shipment but I don’t and I feel a refund is in order.

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    If he can't give you a time of delivery and a tracking number, then he can't give you proof of delivery, and you are owed a refund. I don't know what the law says, but that is my opinion. Ask him what courrier he used.

3. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    FBB...thanks for the reply.

Actually he said he sent it Priority Mail via USPS, but I didn't think you could get a confirmation of delivery through USPS.
    -Bazz-

4. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah....I've been pretty nice so far. The reason being is because he is willing to replace it but like I said...it'll be too late by then. I'll already have my Kent Armstrong shipped here and installed by the time he ships the customshopparts humbucker. I'm just getting frustrated as hell.
    -Bazz-

5. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Delivery Confirmation is definetly available(optional) and almost the only way he would know it's been delivered as Josh mentioned.

If he'll provide you that number, you can check it out for yourself and have a better feeling of how to handle the situation. Otherwise, what FFB said would be the best advice.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Delivery Conformation means that the package was delivered to your friends mailbox/doorstep. If it was delivered to your friends doorstep & some lowlife stole it, it was still "Delivered".

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    This is why I am glad my mom's boss doesn't have a problem with me getting my stuff shipped to her place of work. It goes from UPS to their shipping department to my mom. :) I'm thinking about buying some of the individual bridges from the custom shop parts site. Keep this updated-i'd like to know how it turns out.

8. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    "Delivery Conformation means that the package was delivered to your friends mailbox/doorstep. If it was delivered to your friends doorstep & some lowlife stole it, it was still "Delivered"."

I 100% agree...this would be on my shoulders and not his problem at all, but when I mention it I don't get a response regarding delivery date or anything for that matter.
    Thx,
    -Bazz-

9. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    "This is why I am glad my mom's boss doesn't have a problem with me getting my stuff shipped to her place of work. It goes from UPS to their shipping department to my mom. I'm thinking about buying some of the individual bridges from the custom shop parts site. Keep this updated-i'd like to know how it turns out."

They've got some good stuff (www.customshopparts.com). I don't want to hurt their business unless I'm in the right and they are in the wrong. I'm pretty reasonable and like I said the replacement pickup he said he'd send is totally acceptable customer service...it's just that I can't wait (luthier doing work with alot of projects behind mine) and I'd rather the refund.
    Thanks for all of your input...kinda keeps me grounded.
    -Bazz-