1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Am I being unreasonable?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by pedro, Aug 15, 2012.

1. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    So it appears that my little soul/r&b band that I've been nursing along for a few years is coming to an end. The guitarist/vocalist and our female singer are leaving to go with another bass player and drummer. The guitarist asked me if I minded if he took the name with him. The name is a kind of variation on a name he has been gigging with since the 70's. My response was that I didn't really mind as long as -

1. He made it clear that it was NOT the same band

and

2. He waited 'till we finished playing our last gig (October 26).

Apparently his new band has some gigs lined up and that some what causes a problem. I don't want to be unreasonable but I've worked mighty hard on this band and it's attained a certain small success.

Thoughts? Opinions?

2. Took "the name with him"? I assume you're talking about the band's name and not his own stage name? Did you make up the band's name? If so, why shoiuld he take your band's name with him? Sounds like a jerk move on his part (the action of booking gigs before your band is through) but it may not be worth fighting over unless you have decided to find a new lineup and keep the band name.

3. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Yes the band name. It was a name that was decided on when the band formed and is a play on words so to speak on our guitarist old band name from the 70's. I never much liked the name so I'm ok with him using it but just think he should wait until we are actually done.

4. BelleNoireBass

BelleNoireBass

Apr 18, 2012
    Bay Area
    Why doesn't he just use the actual band name that he was using in the 70's? If it's a different band then it should have a different name.

5. 4StringShooter

4StringShooter Banned

Jun 26, 2011
    London, Ontario, Canada
    GBX Member #1
    Sounds like YOU were the ONLY one doing ANY work on this Band of yours!!!

IF....YOU invented the name....
    I'd stand firm, and tell the asswipe that he CANNOT take the name. It's obviously well known if he's using it to secure future work. Register it as soon as possible !!!:ninja:

6. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Since you don't really care about a name that he's been using in some form for a long time, I'd say let him have it.

On the other matter, I think he should wait until you are done with it completely. BUT, he's probaly figuring on putting this other band out there as the "new & improved" version of this (his) band. Maybe I'm more cynical than usual today.

7. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    Will the new band be performing the same set lists? If so, it looks like the frontman and woman just decided to replace the rythym section. If this is the case then I see no problem with letting them have it since as you said it is a derivative of the guitarists' old band name.

I may be petty and unprofessional but I would have a hard time playing the last gigs with them. I would probably either tell them to stick it up their A$$ let the new guys learn all the tunes in short haste, OR I would say nothing and scheme with the drummer to sabotage the last gigs and change key and tempo during every guitar solo and key vocal part.

8. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Yes I tend to agree and he has as much as said that he'd say 'new' with respect to the name albeit he never mentioned 'improved'. But I think he clearly wants to book the new band at least partially on the reputation of the current one.

9. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    No I would never do that. I mean it's not like we're enemies or anything like that. I'm disappointed because I think this was a very good band that could've been great. But members of the band all had different performing/personal schedules. Anyway, I was the one that did the bookings and would never want to leave the club owners with the idea that I would not live up to our obligations.

10. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I actually preferred the name of his band in the 70's and IIRC actually suggested we use it but was out voted.

11. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Is the 'new' band going to do the 'old' band's material?

Remind me who is leaving the band?

12. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Sorry to say it, but once you set aside the semantics and other window dressing, what your former bandmates have done is ousted you as their bass player, Pedro.

13. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    So they are replacing you and the drummer due to scheduling problems or because they think they can go farther with the new members or what? The reason for firing would make a huge difference to me in regards to whether we could stay friendly.

14. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Well they've ousted me, the keys player and the drummer.

15. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I'm sure that they will do a lot of the same stuff but not all of it.

16. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Are he & the female singer "in bidness" so to speak?

17. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    The band is breaking up. You are giving him the name.What do you care when he starts using it? Are you afraid that some of your gigs will be cancelled? If it doesn't cost you money, keep walking.

18. Well if you guys stick together you can form your own band you are more than half way there with the 3 of you.

19. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I'm fairly sure our female singer is leaving because they've been friends for many many years and so out of a sense of loyalty. Its tough for me to get a good handle on why he's leaving. In our discussions he seems contradictory on a lot of things. On the one hand he seems upset that our drummer has had to miss a few gigs which required us to use a sub but he always tells us well in advance if there is a conflict. The guitarist/singer also seems like he doesn't like (or feel comfortable) that the drummer has many different gigs going on. But the fact of the matter is he's a full time pro and has to play to make a living. This band's stated performance goals was about once a month and I've managed to book gigs within those parameters. He has also in the past expressed some issues with the keys player and I think that there is some kind of personality issue that he has with our keys player but the true nature of what that is he has not been able to really explain to me.

20. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.

Truth. Around here you'd have two of the three pieces which can be more difficult to secure. Swing a dead cat & you're likely to hit ten guitar players & a few girl singers.