Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I biting off more than I can chew?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tekhna, Jan 7, 2005.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    First off, let me say I have never made a bass before, but I have done work on guitars, basses, and done lots of electronics work. My woodworking skills are limited, but I have resources to turn to, should things get out of hand. So I am thinking of a first project bass.
    Here is the run down, and please tell me if this is just the wishful thinking of a newb!

Carvin neck-through neck. I can't seem to find any other prefabricated neck throughs, and making a neck just seems like too much right now)
    Alder body blank
    The parts (Bridge, electronics, etc...)
    Glues, tools, etc...
    So here is the thing-I would like to try a padauk top. Is it just too much added work here? It doesn't seem like it, but this whole proccess is probably pretty deceptive.

Is it just much to expect a newbie to be able to do things like routing the pickups and control cavity properly? Might this just be a huge waste of time and money, or is this an ambitious first project, but a possible one? It seems like since I wouldn't be making the neck, but routing is the part that I would be most likely to mess up, as the gluing, drilling and so on does not seem difficult, it just requires patience and care.
    Any opinions guys?

thanks!

Ben

2. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    just make templates and test it on pine 2x4s before you do anything on the good stuff, and test fit pups/neck joints, or whatever.

i also use full neck templates goin from the nut to 1" past the bridge, to help visualize mesurements, and placement of parts.

3. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

If I wind up doing this, it is all going to be done out on scrap hardwood first! There is a cabinet making company about six blocks away from my house, and their daily free scrap pile is more than enough to learn on. I am willing to take however many months this might take, just to make sure it goes well, I am just worried I am being too ambituous.

4. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    that's how I started out..........with a carvin neck through blank.
    Yur NOT being too ambitious. You can do what you have described no problem.
    Have fun, be patient.

5. I built my first instrument 2 years ago. When I started I didn't have any woodworking experience. I stopped right after I glued the body and neck blank and built a little table and chair for my new born baby. That got my confidence back up and I finished the instrument. It's really not that hard, but you have to be very very attentive to detail. Also, measure twice or thrice and then re-measure before cutting.

6. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Ok, thanks for the vote of confidence guys. Maybe I need to start a new thread for this, but could someone explain the neckthrough angle issue? Is the synopsis here that you are instead of gluing the wings to the neck completely evenly you are gluing it at a 1 or 2 degree angle?