1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I blind or do we not have a best of 2016 thread?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Blaargh, Jan 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Blaargh

Blaargh

Apr 4, 2016
    ... If there is, merge it or something. I couldn't see it.

So, albums, 2016. Good ones. I'm not going to bother ordering them or anything because I'm struggling to remember if certain albums came from 2016 or 2015. Just tell us what you liked, bass-heavy or not.

Moon Tooth- Chromaparagon

This album is freaking awesome. It's technical, schizophrenic and melodic.

Rival Sons- Hollow Bones

Rival Sons are like some incredible combination of a bunch of great 70's bands. Dave Beste is a sweet bassist too.

God Damn- Everything Ever

(This band doesn't actually have a bassist, sshhh). It's still great.

Every Time I Die- Low Teens

I've always loved ETID, but sometimes they feel a little... unemotional? This album carries a lot more weight. If I had to pick a best album from 2016, it's probably this.

Whores- Gold

I love Whores (phrasing). They're like Nirvana, but angrier, sludgier, crushing-er. They also have a totally kickass signature fuzz made by Idiot Box.

Giraffe Tongue Orchestra- Broken Lines

Pete Griffin lays down some pretty groovy lines on this album. I guess I was expecting it to be heavier (considering who's involved), but I really liked it.

The Dillinger Escape Plan- Dissociation

It's the last TDEP album. Boo!

Other stuff that was pretty decent but not enough for me to bother finding links and stuff:
    Metallica (mainly just for Spit Out The Bone), Dinosaur Jr, Deftones, Gone Is Gone, Red Fang, Destrage, KEN Mode, Oathbreaker (I might just need to give that more listening to, it's wonderful).

Post whatever came out last year you loved, be it Beyonce or Oathbreaker or anything inbetween. Just don't be one of those people that whinges about how there's no good music any more. This isn't a thread for you. Go away.

47th Street likes this.
  2. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Best album of 2016, hands down, must be one of my all time favorite bands Low's new Ones and Sixes, a true master piece and best since their Trust album from 2002, in my opinion.

The whole album is from official side up for free streaming on YouTube:

Another of my all time favorite bands Dinosaur Jr. came out with a nice album as well titled Give a Glimpse of What Yer Not, and here's what I personally think is the best song from that album, written and sung by Lou Barlow (the bass player):

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  3. This is exactly what I was going to post but you beat me to it. Low Teens was my #1 from 2016 and it slays from start to finish.

4. almost human

almost human

Sep 30, 2010
    NYC
    My favorites from 2016 are:

Robin Trower- Where You Are Going To
    Mike Keneally- Scambot 2