Am I blowing up cabinet by doing this

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by glocke1, Sep 9, 2018.

1. glocke1

glocke1 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    about the one minute 20 second mark there something is happening. Sounds like it might be bad for the cabinet?

2. Sorry. Not hearing it. Whatever it is, around the time you mentioned.
    Perhaps a description of what you heard would help?

3. I heard that 1 minute 20 second thing. Kind of sounded like fret buzz (but not quite). I heard that same sound/tone a few more times. Also, after around 4 minutes the lower bass notes sounded rougher and looser - not terrible though. Many players are probably working at getting a similar tone. :) IME, it could be a partially blown bass driver, cab bracing that came lose, low battery in active bass or a bad (or poorly seated) tube. A few things to check. BTW, great playing and a nice band (one that I would go to hear).

4. BrBss

BrBss

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    I hear some distortion on a low note right after 1:20, but hard to tell if its the speaker farting out (bad) or the preamp being hit a little too hard and overdriving (safe). Can you replicate it at low master volume if you turn up the gain a bit? Also, what amp are you using?

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    I listened with headphones. Sounds like fret buzz to me. Bass could have been turned down a bit. Try staying below the 5th fret more.

I suggest some treble cut. Or maybe an HPF/LPF to tighten up the low end and cut out the clank that caused the buzz.

One other suggestion, on such a tight stage, have the keyboard player setup perpendicular instead. Looks like he takes up most of the stage unnecessarily , crowding everyone else.

Good band.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  6. glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    It's a Demeter Bass 400, no gain only volume. Hopefully it's the pre-amp being hit too hard. At least one of these speakers has been re-coned once already also, not a painful process but a pain none the less.

7. glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    hmmm...my action isn't set all that low, so if it is fret buzz I'd be surprised, especially since i think it's happening when I fret A at the 5th fret on the E string.

Curious why a couple of you are suggesting a treble cut? I actually have it turned down pretty far as is, on the amp anyway. Treble/middle and bass is probably set at 10/11/1 respectively.

Also, why are you suggesting to stay below the 5th fret more?

HPF/LPF is something I've thought of from time to time recently.

KB player is the BL, and controls the sound and mix...I think he sets up that way because he has a lot of other stuff off to his right he is managing.

Yeah, it's a fun band. This was actually a sit-in gig, I dont get those often enough with those guys.

8. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    You look to play with quite a light touch. You might have dug in a bit more than normal and hit the input of your amp a bit hard.

You could try dropping your pickups down if you don't have an input gain on your amp.

wesonbass likes this.
  9. wesonbass

wesonbass

Nov 26, 2012
    Graniteville SC
    Not Fade Away bro! :thumbsup:

Stumbo likes this.
  10. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Maybe the fret needs to be leveled, reset, recrowned or repolished. Can you hear the problem when not plugged in?

I think because it sounds like fret buzz.

Your bass is getting some very good tone. IMO, it sounds better in the mix down low. The bass volume was even a little bit much on my headphones.

I think an HPF can help string to string balance, especithinkif a cab or venue is boomy. Also, an LPF can set the upper limit of what you want to hear, much better than the treble tone control.

11. glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    Nope...I don't hear any fret buzz at all with this bass when not plugged in.

thanks...yeah, I really like the sound of this bass. As for the volume, it was a bit on the loud side agreed, but generally this BL wants bass loud and upfront which is in line with the early G. Dead stuff when the bass was pretty far up front in the mix as well, though probably not as much as it was in that video...

I do have an Alembic SF2 super filter here I haven't used for awhile, I'll have to start using that again, I've been avoiding it because it's just one more thing to carry around though.

Stumbo likes this.
  12. glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    I do have a light touch...I at first thought that maybe it was the pre-amp being overdriven as well but wasn't sure.

13. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Does it happen at lower volumes?

Try a different bass? Cab? Amp?

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021