Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I changing my stripes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by malthumb, Feb 22, 2002.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Today I just shipped off one of my prized Alembics. Sold it. Wasn't using it much and couldn't just let it gather dust. That leaves me with 2 Alembics and a Hanewinckel. I use all of them quite regularly. I don't have (and have never had) a fretless.

With the cash from the sale I'm considering 3 options.

1) Buy a fretless Alembic that's calling my name
    2) Buy a fretless Hanewinckel that's winking at me
    3) Pocket the cash and buy something nice for the wife

Notice that if I exercize option 2, I'll have as many Hanewinckels as Alembics:eek: :eek:

What gives?! Is my allegiance shifting?

Not really. My Hanewinckel is a damn fine instrument , but I still like my Alembics' sound better. The Hanewinckel plays like butter and is a lot more forgiving. Most importantly, I don't think you can beat the bang for the buck that Hanewinckels represent. Cirrus has great BFTB, but Hanewinckel? Oh my.

Peace,

James

2. could we see some pics/specs of these basses?

3. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    BASSES AREN'T SUPPOSED TO WINK!It must be possesed by SATAN!

SATAN

4. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    You just had to go there, didn't ya! I'm almost as reluctant as JT when it comes to showing my basses. Well, since you asked....The one in the middle is now gone:(

Left: Alembic Mark King Dlx w/ Series II electronics and amber side LEDs

Right: Alembic Series I w/ red side LEDs

Center: Alembic Series I serial # 84

[​IMG]

Peace,

James

5. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Alembic Mark King 3/4 Body fretless 5

[​IMG]

6. Man, every time you mention Hanewinckel I start GASing for one really badly. Those basses look amazing! I think Alembics are great too, but they're just so darn pricey...

Those Hanewinckel's are seriously making me consider dropping my plans for a fretless Zon. I would go for option 2 :)

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Hanewinkel Artist Fretless 5, Ceres Body

[​IMG]

8. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Best choice I ever made

[​IMG]

9. I neglected to give that Alembic a really good look!
    :eek:

I don't really think you could lose either way. Your 3rd option is good since it promotes harmony on the domestic front.....but new basses are FUN!

I really don't know what to suggest after all!

10. Just remember, if you neglect option 3, you may end up with this...

[​IMG]

Thanks for posting this pic AllodoX, I'm still dumbfounded by it. :)

11. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    FIRE SALE!!!!! ALL BASSES MUST GO!!! YEEESH :eek: :eek: :eek:

12. #3, man. Once marriage is entered into, the Dominant Rule--"ass is ephemeral, bass is eternal"--is automatically reversed.

Not that I've any experience in the matter, but the fact that your wife let you have four basses in the first place indicates that she's incredibly cool...

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Hmm, interesting choices. First, I'd imagine the two would sound quite different, with the Alembic a NT and the Hanewinckel a bolt-on, and very different electronics (looks like the Alembic actually has Europa electronics? Actually, isn't that a Europa with a modified body shape - looks like MXY pickups to me :) ).

If a fretless is an "experiment", maybe it'd be better to spend less and get the Hanewinckel? Hey, then you'd still have $1000 left to spend on your wife! I think we have a solution. ;)

So, are you planning a trip to San Diego to try them both out? :D

14. Is it just me or am I the only ones that finds those Alembic "gothic" in style, heheh, I like them though, looks like they'll feel at home in a 16th century castle.

15. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Geshel,

The Alembic at Bass Alone is a custom. It started life as a Mark King Signature (at least according to the serial number) but the buyer opted for a 3/4 size body with the Omega Heart cut out and Europa electronics. Oh, and don't think I haven't been rolling that cost analysis around in my mind. My other concern is that the Alembic body is 3/4 size. The headstock (with 5 tuners) is full size.
    Greg Louganis?

Modulusbassist,

In your signature you are apparently rooting for Kaiserslautern. My company has an engine plant in Kaiserslautern. Got to tour it once years and years ago. Might have the opportunity again soon.

Peace,

James

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd got for the Hanney! I love their body shaped so much more than Alembic, not to mention that they have Alembics beat on the Price.

PS- Go either Draken or Fusion for the body style!

17. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    With no hesitation.

18. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Brendan,

Not much chance of you and me showin' up at a party wearing the same dress:D

As much as I like the Hanewinckel designs, I still like Alembic points and omegas better. Even with the Hanewinckel bodystyles, my favorite is Ceres, then Reactor, then Draken. Fusion is okay, but to me it looks almost exactly like an Alembic Rogue.

Most everybody has Alembic beat on price, but IMHO, nobody can touch 'em on tone. In fact, my Hanewinckel sounds its best through my Alembic F1-X preamp and SF-2 Superfilter. And no, Virginia, all Alembics do not sound alike. I have two Series basses that can disprove that theory in a heartbeat.

Peace,

James

19. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've played that Alembic and it's stunning. Side LED's, the whole nine yards. Tone to die for. And the workmanship is just unbelievable. Really beautiful. Mercy. I think I'd have to have that Alembic, if I was in your shoes and had the dough. :D

20. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    FWIW, I went with option 3. Weekend in Vegas w/ the girls, Prince concert next Wednesday, and replaced a couple Mont Blancs that were stolen from her desk at work.

I retained the right to revisit options 1 & 2 at a later date.:cool:

Peace,

James