1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I cheating myself by using Isolated Bass Tracks?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by gfdhicool, Oct 6, 2013.

1. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

Jun 8, 2012
    I've been using a few of these for a band that has like super inaudible bass (Metallica specifically,****ing Lar$ and Jaimez).

2. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    No not at all, but it depends on what you do after you have the line down. If you do not go back and undersatnd how the line works within the structure of the song for example, you will never learn to develop 'hearing them within songs' in the future.

Don't let what is in effect to help you learn become a crutch that you need.

If you had a teacher doing the job of the isolater then yes it is the same thing essentally as the teacher takes you through the track, the teacher helps shows you the track in isolation.
    But the teacher will add other info to help you learn how such info supports what you hear, info you need so you can learn to work out the options tou have with in a structure, so make logical choices of what chords you hear so what notes can be used to make the bassline you are hearing.
    Sometimes bass lines are so deep in the mix it is hard to make them out, but if you can hear the overall sound then you can make a reasonable guess as to what the bass is doing.
    This may change for you over the years, i have had old Blues songs where i have changed what i have played several times.
    Usually because i learned another old song, heard the idea clearer in it and then assumed
    "aaaaahhhhhh maybe he used it on the one i play"?

I have heard the track that was playing downstairs when i went upstairs for something and heard it in a resonant way where the bass end seems to be isolated, but i can get the feel of the resonance, that again changes my mind of what i was playing............it is all part of the fun of learning and playing.

The journey itself is sometimes the important part, not actually learning the line itself you end up with. :)

3. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    I don't understand your question.
    Let's say, your band decided to play, as close as possible, one of Metallica's songs.
    All musicians are trying to play the "original notes" from that song.
    Are you cheating if all musicians playing/copying the notes composed by other musicians?
    Does it mean that if you are playing some cover tunes, you are cheating?

Due to some issues - bad recording, tuning is off, distorted bass sound, that one bass note is too low, too much drum/cymbal or other noise, etc... - you cannot recognize that one bass note or that one passage.
    Usually, I used to ask
    some of my keyboard players with absolute pitch to help me to identify that note/phrase/passage/etc... or
    some other bass players who had already played that bassline.
    I remember, one time my drum player told me about some notes that I missed, because he had a video for the drummers, explaining how to play that particular song.

Sometimes, watching a live performance of that group would give you some answers.

Nowadays, the Internet is very helpful.

In my opinion, if your band decided to play a cover tune, exactly the way it was originally played, it's not a cheating.
    It's a nicely played cover tune.

4. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    It's funny you mention this because I never knew Burton wasn't playing the guitar riff note for note in Master Of Puppets until heard the isolated bass track.

5. If you are a covers band, then play the song so it sounds the best you can with your own lineup. If you are a tribute band, then you should play as close to the original as you can, because that's what tributes do. Modern gizmos have also made some songs easier to play better. Like a band from the 60s who wrote it in Eb, so every Eb has to be a high one. If you have a 5 string bass, then you could play the low Eb easily - and it could make the song better. Which would be correct? The tribute I play in often listen to the original, and argue over what we hear - speeding the track up to raise the pitch often lets you hear bass that's invisible on the original recordings. Watching old youtube clips often shows you just how bad miming was in those days, and often isn't helpful at all!

6. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I'm not sure what you're asking. I like to play to the standard version of the song. It's a jam session for me. I just keep jamming to it until I get it locked in. If the tune is particularly hard to learn then Isolation will help. So from that standpoint you are cheating yourself out of a fun Jam.