am i crazy (bass tones)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    ok. hear me out. i lay in bed and play my bass alot. by accident a long time ago the sheet on my bed was touching all the strings just above the bridge. the sheet kinda muffled the strings and gave it a wicked tone. so now sometimes i do it on purpose. this gives it almost an upright bass, really muffled, sustained type tone. anyone know what the hell i'm talking about. i wonder if there are any products out there that do the same thing?????
  2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    JAMERSON did the same thing with foam in motown. thus the reason vintage p basses had foam under the bells and stingrays had adjustable mutes.
  3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Tony Levin has been known to use baby diapers to get that effect!!!

4. Carol Kaye and Bob Babbit still do it. I do it on my P bass for the studio, it kills the unwanted overtones.

Here's Carol's felt mute. On top of the strings for pick players.

Under the strings for finger players.

5. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    so i should get some foam and some tape or do they actually sell something i can use?
  6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Hair scrunchies work as well. It really helps to have a young teen in the house so you can borrow a few to try them.

Dan :bassist:
  7. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I think Fodera sells a mechanical string mute that works with a lever to mute or un-mute the strings. It's designed to mount in fromt of the bridge with either adhesive or screws. I lke the idea, but neither mounting method is acceptable on my basses.
  8. [​IMG]
    Here is a legendary bass with an adjustable string mute. :cool:
  9. You can add felts, diapers, sheets, foam, scrunchies, and all manner of doohickies, thingamajigs, gizmos, gadgets, and geegaws.

Or you can simply use your palm as a mute, and play with your thumb.
  10. Palm muting, is not the same as using a piece of foam to mute.

Don't knock it until you tried it.

11. Yeah, the "super wonder nappy bass"! You can hear it on Peter Gabriel's "Don't Give Up", and you can read about it there:
  12. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i use that little thingy that my little lady uses to paint her toe nails (well not really the same one, i use the extra one that she can't find anymore). it helps spread her toes apart and mutes my strings.

13. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    I took a peice of this black sticky back foam (weather stripping I think) I have kickin around... it is roughly 1/4" thick x 3/4" wide.. I stuck two peices together (sticky backs together) and trimmed it to about 4" long.. I am left with a peice of foam about 1/2" thick, 3/4" wide and 4" long... I wedged it between the strings and body of my bass just infront of the bridge saddles... works just like string mutes.

Easy to remove, no sticky mess.. good for playing late at night when even my unplugged bass will wake everyone up.
  14. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I was at my dad's workbench a few weeks ago and I noticed he has a coffee can full of these foam pieces that are I believe the right size to fit under all the strings. They're even "radiused" alittle bit *lol* :) Haven't tried them yet
  15. Treena, is that Ovation Magnum yours?

I had one 20 years ago, and loved the built in mute feature, but it always threw my bass out of tune by about a quarter tone whenever I used it.

Nice idea though.

16. Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    I have *got* to try this, it could give me the cool sound i'm *really* after.

I hate it when i hear a bass tone and think "****, i like that" but then realise its the absolute total opposite of what bass i have, how i play, and generally me.
  17. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Lewk: Yea definately try it. I'm actually going to post pics of what I used and some sound samples with my Sterling fretted and fretless with the mute in place. You'd be surprised what alittle thing like a piece of foam wedged under your strings does to your tone AND to your inspiration. Its almost like playing a completely different instrument.