1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I crazy for doing this.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Frety_Kruger, Mar 31, 2020.

1. yes Bro do it

65 vote(s)
    25.3%
  2. Dude are you crazy.

192 vote(s)
    74.7%
  1. Frety_Kruger

Frety_Kruger Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2020
    I recently have the opportunity to purchase a bass that I feel I wouldn't ever be able to purchase again if passed up on. The bass is a ESP/Ltd 415fm. You might laugh and say what do you mean those basses are everywhere. But this one is not just any 415fm. This one was owned and played on tour by Dan Kenny of the world renowned death metal band Suicide Silence. I know these basses went for $800 brand new and can be found used for 400 maybe even 350 now on the used market. But I offered to buy it for $1500. I have owned pretty much every major bass you can name from stingray to jazz basses and all in between. But never a tour used bass from one of my favorite bands. My question being. Could you overlook the value of the bass for the pure coolness aspect of owning something so unique or would you pass up the opportunity?

jebmd and joker820 like this.
  2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Does the fact that it was supposedly owned by someone you admire cause you to believe that it is imbued with otherworldly powers? If so, then sell your grandma. Make sure your hero signs it and provides a certificate of authenticity. Put it in a glass case and admire/worship it.
    Otherwise, get a usual one and spend the rest on lessons to be better than that guy. Be your own hero.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Meh, it's still just a bass. It's not like his bass powers have been imparted onto the instrument. And not for nothing, it's not like it was played by John Entwistle.

Obviously, it's your money.

4. its your favorite band its got tour mojo,, shut your eyes and do what your gut and heart tells ya, our opinions shouldn't hold merit. cheers!

Broke, 9c1ny, 4dog and 27 others like this.
  5. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Life is short and you're dead a long time...

That said, there is an opportunity cost. What else would/could you do with the money and would that have move value *to you* (doesn't matter what anyone else thinks).

jebmd, joker820, Helix and 9 others like this.
  6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Pros and cons.
    It's a bass owned by a bassist you admire.
    I'm guessing you like the way it looks and sounds.
    You may never have the opportunity to buy it again.

It's just a bass.
    It's going to cost you twice what it's worth.
    If you ever sell it, will you find someone willing to pay $1,500 for it and will it take a year or more to move it?

Do the pros outweigh the cons?

tekhedd and gebass6 like this.
  7. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    I feel I would be willing to pay a little extra for a bass from one of my heros BUT I would want to do a direct buy from them. Like a meet and greet or a phone chat or something like that. I wouldn’t want it to be sold to me as memorabilia, I would want it to be passing the instrument on from musician to musician. One just happens to be famous. But that’s just me.

8. Frety_Kruger

Mar 31, 2020
    He lives in California I have talked to him via facetime and he will ship it to me if I decide to buy.

9. Hambone70

Hambone70

Jan 31, 2018
    Pass. Not a fan of celebrity worship.

10. pappabass

pappabass Suspended

May 19, 2006
    Alabama !! Roll Tide

jd56hawk likes this.
  11. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Here are my two cents on this type of question: if that bass means that much to you (which only *YOU* can determine) and you are willing to pay the price, then yes, you should buy it because owning it has a special meaning to *YOU*. My philosophy is, the most important thing in life is to be happy. If owning that bass will bring you happiness, then buy it! I always encourage people to do whatever makes them happy (as long as it doesn't involve hurting others).

Now, for *ME*, I have never heard of Dan Kenny or the band Suicide Silence. So owning that bass would have no particular significance to me. But you are not me. You are you. You probably wouldn't particularly care to own one of Chris Squire's basses like I would, and that's cool. That's what makes life so interesting on this planet.....the diversity.....the fact that we all like different stuff! :thumbsup:

12. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    We all have our heroes. I see this as no different than game worn jerseys going for top dollar. If I had the chance to buy a bass that Steve Harris played on tour, I'd give it serious consideration.

If you can afford it, and it will make you happy, then do it

jebmd, Broke, Michael Bauer and 8 others like this.
  13. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    I wouldn't do it.

But hey - I'm not you.

Sixgunn and Frety_Kruger like this.
  14. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    That depends on how much I liked it when I played it, no way I'm buying any used bass before doing that.

Sixgunn, JRA and jd56hawk like this.
  15. Cutter8

Cutter8 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    If it will give you joy to own it, and you had strong enough feelings about it to make the offer, then it sounds like it will be worth it for you. Really doesn’t matter if it would be worth it to anyone else. If it makes you smile when you think about playing it, buy the bass. Life is short...

16. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

I only read the question and the op, so the obvious answer is, yes. Yes is a positive word though. Feed your soul whatever you do.

17. Bajo Clarkko

Bajo Clarkko

Aug 9, 2015
    I’m mulling this over a bit.
    Would the 60 year old me, pay higher-than-market value for a Bass that was played on a tour by one of my favorite Bassists? No.

Would the 21 year old me, pay higher-than-market value for say, the Steinberger that Andy West played on the Dregs 1981 “Unsung Heroes” tour? (If I had the money, and the opportunity was afforded to me?) Yeah, probably.

As others have stated, do what makes you happy.

el jeffe bass likes this.
  18. EXCAV8

EXCAV8

Dec 15, 2019
    I looked up Suicide Silence on youtube out of sheer curiosity.

I have never hated something I heard more than that band.

Bergerman, tekhedd, leonche64 and 3 others like this.
  19. the federalist

the federalist I think about basses a lot. Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Let me preface this with the disclaimer that you should do as you choose with this transaction.

A few years ago I saw an ad on Craigslist for several ESP basses. The person said in the listing he was a former ESP endorser. We met, and this nice gentleman told me he used to be with a death metal (or something like that) band that toured extensively in Europe and South America. His appearance lent credence to this claim. Anyhow, I bought one of his basses, which he said he used on tour. This had zero bearing on my interest in the bass. He was selling it and the others for very reasonable prices.

When I got home, I looked up the band on YouTube and sure enough there he was in several videos death metal thrashing away in front of large stadium audiences. The band had a couple of albums. He also showed up on the ESP website. I can't remember his name or the band name now.

While I didn't ask this person why he was selling all his basses at such attractive prices, my hunch was that he needed the dough. No shame in that, as many of us have been in that position. The point, however, is that the bass player in (let's face it) an obscure band who wants to sell you a $400 common bass for $1500 may need the money as well and may part with it for a far lower price.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  20. Frety_Kruger

Mar 31, 2020
    Lmao death metal is not everyone's cup of tea friend.

Bergerman, Stringly, jellew and 6 others like this.