Am I crazy for wanting to buy this bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by charismaticdog, Jul 26, 2013.

1. charismaticdog

charismaticdog

Aug 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

From the description:
    So, am I crazy for really wanting to check this thing out?

2. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    how much does he want for it? the refinish alone will effect it's value.

3. George Mann

George Mann Inactive

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    From the look of it, it is a very poor conversion.

4. charismaticdog

charismaticdog

Aug 2, 2012
    He wants 1100. I am interested in having an interesting player. Currently have a Lakland Skyline Glaub (MIK) with a buzzy/quiet single-coil chisonic pickup. Be fun to have an old-school Fender Precision with a little more output.

5. You'll probably take a beating from day 1 if you tried to resell it..but you want it...go for it

6. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    What a butcher job. But if you like the way it feels and sounds why not? Looks like he's being reasonable with a massive discount in price, assuming its origins are indeed as he describes. That's the trick though.

7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    The refinish really kills it (and that's assuming everything else is legit). I can't see it realistically selling for more than $800, but if you want it go for it.

8. charismaticdog

charismaticdog

Aug 2, 2012
    I'm not sure how to phrase this: Let's say I play it and like it. I'll probably make some sort of offer below 1100. I don't want to insult the seller, but you gotta bargain. Any suggestions what something like this is worth?

9. charismaticdog

charismaticdog

Aug 2, 2012
    Heh: missed jmattbassplaya's response.

10. Yes.

/thread

11. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    There's a lot more going on there than just a "changed pickup". Looks like the bass was seriously routed, and then a poor quality repair was done. That's not the original pickguard, either. What you've got there is a '57-ish neck attached to a bunch of worthless parts. Assuming the neck has the original hardware, and is undamaged, I'd say $800 is a safe price.

12. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Be tactful, but ask for what you want. You're not trying to make friends, you're conducting a business transaction. If he's insulted, he'll get over it. Just be respectful.

13. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    That's a modified first-generation Precision converted to the split-coil pickup. As such it doesn't have much intrinsic value.

Note that it's not a "transition" bass: Fender shut down production of the single-coil bass and changed over to the split-coil prior to the NAMM show in July of '57. Somebody has whacked out the body to accommodate the new pickup, and it wasn't Leo.

Think of it this way: would you buy a '54 Chevrolet that had '55 front fenders, hood and grille grafted on as a "transition" '54? I don't think so. Not for a premium price, anyway.

14. jamminology101

jamminology101

Aug 22, 2012
    Indianapolis In
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    That thing could garner possibly 15k or more on the open market if it was pristine....a long way from that but if it sounds good and plays good id buy a parts bass for 8%...u do the math but I came up with $960 with my quasi scientific approach.

15. 999Brent

999Brent Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Try it out, if you love the feel and sound, then $1100 is not much if it will become your sound.
    IMO forget the cosmetics and age of this bass, concentrate on feel and sound, it is never going to be an investment but it is a player....

16. endy_y_p

endy_y_p

May 2, 2009
    Surabaya
    If I have 1100 I would buy Lakland Skyline 44-51, split coil pickup with 50s P bass body and pickguard, Lakland style

Just a thing to consider though...:)

17. Can you go play it?
    There are great looking basses that will not play or sound very good, at all.
    Conversly, there are some pretty ugly basses that are marvelous.
    You can't always tell by year, make or model.
    Check it out.
    Decide what that is worth to *you*.

18. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    1100? Hell have a pro set it back to the original configuration and a solid finish and you'll be rockin. Or if it's a good player as is the price isn't unreasonable for what it is.

19. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    "So, the bass is not totally original. I have spent over $1000 on [del]maintaining the bass[/del] reducing this valuable instrument to a piece of worthless scrap."

:rollno:

Walk.

20. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Wanting to buy this bass has nothing to do with why you are nuts.

Seriously though, if it is a good deal, buy it and rock it. Restore it if you feel like it. Don't if you don't. I despise people trying to make me feel as though I am obligated to treat a vintage instrument a certain way. If you buy it, it will be a TOOL, and YOURS. It is not a religious artifact. Jesus didn't play it. Paint it bass boat sparkle orange and put an active Bart preamp in it if you want.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021