Am I crazy for wanting to buy this bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by charismaticdog, Jul 26, 2013.

1. wooheehaa

wooheehaa

Jul 14, 2013
    it had practically no value, 1100 can easily fetch you a buttery tone machine in the used market.

judge the price by how it plays, not by the vintage value because it had none. it could be very well worth a grand in tone and feel but it could also pay and worth like a walmart bass. you get the idea, try it out, dont judge on its age or vintage value but on the playability

2. I saw this guy's first posting. I considered taking a ride up that way and seeing if I could restore & refin (since it's already been beat to death), replace the pickup with an original and have a cool '50's P but I don't have the cash to blow on it. IIRC I think he originally wanted more ($2500 maybe?); it's been available for about 6-10 months or so and no one's bitten. I don't think you're crazy to want to buy it since you wouldn't have had the chance to do so if I had the money.

Regarding the playability, the '51 P that I did get a chance to try out had a fantastic neck feel - one of Fender's best, IMO. This one's neck should be in the same ballpark.

If you get it, PM me! I think we might not be that far from each other. I'd like to take a good look at it myself and it would be cool for you to bring it to the Aug. 11th MN/Twin Cities TB GTG in Elk River. If you got it and decided to sell it, I'd be interested if you were ok with installments.

3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Yeah, this.
    The "untouched-solder-joint" cork-sniffers will turn their noses up at this one, so high-dollar-resale is pretty much out of the equation, so if you get it, just enjoy the heck out of it, do with it as you want, and to heck with whatever the "next" owner might want.

Get it, play it, change it any way your heart desires, enjoy it.

4. Sliderbass

Sliderbass Dr. Bass, The best cabinet you'll NEVER own! Supporting Member

Paging John K....

It will never be original but it could be a great player! If you need someone to do anything to it, look up John. He has a bit of experience with these instruments.

5. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Many here are saying this bass has no value. That isn't really true. The neck, if unmolested, is worth around $1,000.

6. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    The neck and body are from the '57 and people are saying this thing has no real value? Gimme a break.

If it plays well then there are plenty of people who would be willing to drop a grand or so on it.

7. I LOL'd :D

8. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I'm by no means a vintage purist, I just think that $1100 is a lot of bucks for something that may be a great player and, by the same token, may very well not be much of anything at all. If I had a chance to play it I could determine pretty quickly which one it was. But the idea of dropping those dollars on a hack job purely on faith is a bit much. What it you buy it and end up not playing it, and nobody wants it? If you've been around as long as some of us have, you know that's a real possibility.

As it stands, it doesn't seem to offer that much. Personal inspection will tell the tale.

9. banikek

banikek

Sep 14, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Go check it out. I talked to the seller last week as I have been watching his add too. Sounded like there is also a major crack in the neck near the headstock that has been repaired. He was up front about it when I talked to him but it was enough to dissuade me from driving out to look at it. Good luck!

10. I love maple necks, I'd love to have an early one.

The early body and early style pickguard? Yup, right up my alley...

Split pickup? Yeah, it's an awful conversion. But I like the split pickups, I think that's sort of cool. (I have a 60th Anniversary P with a similar style pickguard and split coil pickup...)

The refinish? Okay, it is truly awful. And for whatever it's worth I think that an orange bass boat sparkle finish would be great. (Seriously, I really do.)

11. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I could be wrong...but didn't the '57 bridge just have two saddles? E and A on one, D and G on the other, the way early Tele guitars had two strings per saddle.

So the bridge ain't original, either..? Somebody check me on that.

12. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

Jun 7, 2013
    VA
    In my personal opinion, I really don't think it's even worth $1100 (but that's just the angry p bass lover in me irritated at how it's been chopped up talking). Plus if you bought it, you'd kinda be stuck with it. It'd be crazy hard to resell that.

13. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    You are correct.

And there it is. The bass is worthless. No wonder the thing hasn't sold.

If the seller was being up front about things, he'd have mentioned it in his ad. Guy's not on the level, and I wouldn't buy anything from him.

14. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    As a modded '51 owner I can appreciate wanting to attempt some kind of resurrection but by the looks and description it might be beyond help at this point.

15. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    I would go and have a look and if the neck is not twisted or warped (a crack can be fixed easily enough) then I would certainly go for it.
    The body wood can be made to look good and a reranch nitro rattle can re-fin is easy to do yourself.
    $1100 for a '57? Ok it's not all original, but $1100? Seriously? Go snap it up before all these passionate nay-sayers on this thread find it first!

Great poker faces guys! ;)

16. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Let's do the math:

The bridge and the pickup are replacements and have no value. The body has been severely routed and poorly repaired, and has no value. You'll have to re-rout and re-repair that body, and then paint the thing a solid color, since the repair would be visible no matter how good the repair was. The neck, having been seriously cracked and repaired, has no value. No collector wants a repaired neck. The only thing that has any value on that bass are the tuners, IF they're orginal. And based on the condition of the bass, they're probably not.

So - how on earth is this bass worth anything near $1,100

17. SpaceBass2000

SpaceBass2000

Mar 15, 2013
    DFW TX
    [​IMG]

Looks like the headstock may have been broken off.

18. Looks like a bullet truss rod, from possibly a '70s Telecaster bass. Looks like it may have been wrenched on too hard and fractured the first fret and possibly the headstock. Troubling. :meh:

19. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    I don't think so, it looks like a bit of shine on the crack continuing through the walnut trussrod plug.
    I've seen the rest of the pics for this bass and I stand corrected and I apologise gentlemen.

If the neck and body were original '57 then to me it would be worth the money (or a near to it haggle) as I personally could make something of it and enjoy the project doing so. If only to have an interesting players bass.

BUT, I believe the neck has been refinished, at the time of repair probably. The Fender decal isn't original and has been put on a bit wonky compared to other P-basses of this era that I've had a google of.
    Now I'm not sure even the body is original as it clearly is made from alder whereas as far as I know, the 50's single coil P-basses came with ash bodies. So what's original to 1957 here then? The neck plate? Who knows.

It would still make an interesting and fun challenge of a project, if it was going for next to nothing that is.

No, that $1100 would be better off spent on a 60th anniversary P which is an awesome playing and sounding bass that one day WILL be worth something.

20. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Alder was introduced a little after the sunburst finish, which adhered better to that wood than the ash universally used before...so it could be a '57. But that bullet truss rod didn't appear until 20 years later.

This is like buying a "genuine '57 Chevrolet" with a '50 Oldsmobile motor, a Fordamatic transmission, and fibreglass replica hood and fenders. For a premium price.

If it's a player, it might be worth $400-500. But not to me.:D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021