1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

am I crazy? I want an 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bchamorro, Mar 4, 2008.

1. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    So I already own a 4x10 cab and I plan on getting either a 1x15 or another 4x10 cab to run both at 4 ohms.

But I also want an 8x10. I don't even play large venues.
    Should I pull the trigger?

By the way, I only buy Mesa cabs.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    if you have the money and the back to move it, get it. and get it out of your system.

while your at it maybe get a few 18" cabs!

3. torkelboy

torkelboy

Feb 24, 2008
    You should call down your wallet and listen good for the answer!
    Who does'nt like the look of a massive rig? Probably as many as those who hate to carry it.

Are you thinking of playing 410 115 810 all at the same time!? that would be overkill unless the venue is pretty large.

i'd take it your not after versitality since you're keeping to one brand and is thinking of owning 2 410 plus an 810.

I'ts up to you, if you got cash, do it. buy it used and you won't loose that much money.

4. I'll bite,

Yes you're crazy!!!! It will be sweet anywhere it is standing still, but when you buy a refrigerator, you leave it in one place. You'll need to move that thing from time to time.

Do what you want, but at some point you'll be looking at the 8x, and then looking at the 4x, and you'll grab the 4x because it just wont hurt as bad.

I'm not really that angry, just lately I am looking for any way to make my rig a one trip affair.

Truthfully, though, I can't see any situation where you will NEED anywhere near that much butt-kick. Either for you or your audience.

5. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I went 810 recently, and I never wanna go back. The only thing I'd consider is actually ADDING a 215 cab.

But I'm crazy.

Also a little stupid. :D

6. HERE COMES ADVERSARIAL GUY!!!!!!!!!!! I have said it a hundred times... if you have a vehicle big enough to move it, an 8x10 cabinet is just as easy (if not easier) to move than a 4x10. For years I used a 4x10 cabinet which I always had to bend over and pick up then carry around. After my back surgery last year I bought a 8x10. You just tilt it back and steer it where you need to go with it. Once in the club, tilt it against the stage and push it up there. I love my 8x10 and will pick it over my 4x10 every time.

7. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    I use two 4x10s most of the time as a virtual 8x10. I love it!

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I'd buy a Mesa 8x10, in principle.

9. Yes, you're crazy.
    But it's a good kind of crazy.
    What do you have to transport it?

10. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    since you have a 410 , get another,leave home watt you don't need, and switch every other gig

11. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    transportation is not an issue. I have the vehicle to move it around, but I won't be moving it around much. It will just stay in my jam room.

The other thing ive been thinking about is simpy forgetting about it and just get another 4x10.

12. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Get two or at least 2 1 x15's to go with it.

13. sgfender85

sgfender85

Sep 10, 2005
    I would go with the 810 and sell the 410. I agree with SC Bassboy, the 810 is a lot easier to move than you would think. The built in wheels and handles work much better than picking up a 410, an 810 is actually easier to move. Or you go with a matching 410 or add a 15. Its just personal preference is all. Plus think of transportation, like I didnt. I dont think my 810 will fit in my honda civic.

14. +1...although I don't have my 8x10 anymore b/c I couldn't figure out how to get it in a Golf

15. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Edit: didn't see the part about only playing mesa cabs. Preface by saying it's silly to limit yourself to one brand, but I played a PowerHouse1000 (the RR 1000 I wasn't so crazy about) but I loved the punch I got out of a brand new PH1000. That's my recommendations.

16. bodoger

bodoger

Feb 28, 2008
    Chapmanville, WV
    I have an 8x10 and the only way to go is another 8x10.

17. Go for it though if it's what you want and are willing to carry it, wheels won't get it up stairs though! I personally think it's worth it for the sound, big cabs sound unsurprisingly bigger to me without exception (unless it's a crap cab) and you need that for some styles of music. I always think it's nice to have the projection in your face AND have your cab connected with the floor for all that nice subby bass to vibrate the stage. Always best to stick a nice deep 18 underneath a cab like that though just to be sure :p

18. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Buy an 810, they're on wheels. You're not really going to lift it, more like tilt or lever it. Unless there's stairs of course, but not in most cases.

19. torkelboy

torkelboy

Feb 24, 2008
    :hyper:It's not the cab that kills you:hyper:

:crying:It's that SVT head:crying:

20. cymbop

cymbop

Mar 1, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Haven't ever regretted getting my fridge. Roll it to the Mazda, tip it over the tailgate, done. If you go up stairs you'll need a hand, but you can help a bandmate with one of his trips into the club and he'll return the favor for you. Easy.