Am I crazy? Keep MIJ Fender over USA?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Vee, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Mike Vee

Mike Vee Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Los Angeles
    These are my 2 Precision basses:
    - 2023 American Original 60s
    - 2023 Made in Japan International Series.

I love them both, but I don't want to keep 2 Precisions.

In SOUND, the 60s is much, much better, if not a possibly tad bland/dark. But that's just LaBellas (don't want to change). It's just a perfect P bass but it can feel a little too old school and tubby at times, fat neck, maybe, dare I say, a little boring.

The MIJ doesn't sound amazing to me stock, BUT, there's just something about the way it FEELS that makes me want to pick it up all day long. The neck is GLOROUS, and I find the aesthetics extremely satisfying as well. It's a pretty rare bass in this color, and I love that early 80s vibe. It's different and uncommon. And again, it just feels soooooo good.

Am I crazy to want to sell the 60s, and the spitfire guard (make about $1800 or more) and just get the 63 pickup and upgrade the pots/wiring on the MIJ bass?

My fear is that even after the upgrade the MIJ won't sound as good as the 60s.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

2. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    Not crazy, you just know what you like. Most people seem think the American-made Fenders are automatically better than their non-US counterparts, but that is often not so.

I sold a 1997 American Standard P and kept a 2011 MiM; the MiM felt better to me. I don't regret letting US-made one go in the slightest. In fact, my Japanese-made Yamaha BBP34 is way better for me than any Fender I've ever touched, US-made or otherwise.

3. who

who

Apr 20, 2007
    Maryland
    Could you temporarily move the pickup from the MIA to the MIJ and see if the sound is to your liking before you make any major decision?

ics1974, PiquetBass, andare and 6 others like this.
  4. Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    Los Angeles
    nah i dont want to modify the AO 60s - worth a lot of money

5. who

who

Apr 20, 2007
    Maryland
    Fair enough.

Mike Vee likes this.
  6. Lowend65

Lowend65 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    The heart wants what it wants.
    I'd keep the MIJ and try swapping electronics if you want better tone. A set of Nordstrand P-pickups is well under $200. Even if you end up throwing them in the trash (you won't), you'll come out on top financially selling the MIA.

7. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Personally I’d keep the MIA because I do not trust myself with basswood bodies.

8. Bass4ThePublic

Bass4ThePublic Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Kansas City
    Why not keep rounds on the mij and flats on the AO?

zenrad, Pet Sounds, DrBnz and 4 others like this.
  9. Texaspandj

Texaspandj

Feb 13, 2021
    Heart Of Texas
    I'd keep the 60s just based on looks (comparatively speaking).
    Kinda reminds me of a prettier than pretty girl I used to date. She wasn't the sweetest, kindest or brightest (as evidence she dated me) but her looks and touch made you forget all about that.

Chickenwheels likes this.
  10. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist Istanbul...not Constantinople Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Tejas
    For me, basses are like pants....
    Is anything SO stylish that you wanna deal with it chaffing your butt all day long? No thanks, not for me :thumbsdown:

Regarding your bass situation, you are on the right track IMO. Stick with what feels good and find a good set of strings and pickups to suit the one that feels best. While opinions vary on here, you will have a much easier time getting the MIJ to sound better than the MIA, than trying to make the MIA more comfortable.

$1800 can buy you a LOT of strings and pickups to try :bassist:

11. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Just put the neck of the Japan on the US one. Bam.

12. HowieD72

HowieD72

Oct 12, 2017
    Whangarei
    After reading your post several times, i say go with the MIJ.

Follow your own advice of: "Sell the 60s, and the spitfire guard (make about $1800 or more) and just get the 63 pickup and upgrade the pots/wiring on the MIJ bass" then slap on some LaBellas and you'll never put this bass down!

When you said regarding the MIJ: "And again, it just feels soooooo good". That's the key right there! :thumbsup:

Keep the MIJ, sell the MIA, pocket nearly 2k and look at that smile :D

Plus that MIJ looks stunning :drool:

13. andrus108

andrus108

Mar 11, 2018
    I'm in a similar boat as OP, I have two Ibanezesezesez, SR600 and SR800, both black and equipped with Dimarzio Model pickups. I kind of want to sell one, because I no longer actively play bass, just fool around for writing and recording, so why would I need two. But then I think 'maybe I just have flats on one and rounds on the other'......? xD

14. Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I have no use for rounds in my life

15. Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Thank you very much for the thoughtful reply

HowieD72 likes this.
  16. Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I would just put the same pickup that the green one has, it would probably even sound a little brighter with the maple board, which would be awesome.

17. Z-Bass

Z-Bass

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    This right here. When you find something that feels that good and it makes you want to keep playing it, then that's 90% of the battle. I'm sure you can find a replacement pickup or different set of strings to get it closer to your liking. Unless of course there is something with the wood density and resonance that's keeping it from sounding closer to your preference.

Great looking pair though.

18. dune

dune Gold Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2019
    Utah
    Not crazy at all. Keep the one you want to play the most.

HowieD72 likes this.
  19. J Wilson

J Wilson Supporting Member

IF you can resolder the bridge ground, swap pickguards and pickups one to the other, and see what you think.
    Best A/B comparison with the two of them right in front of you.

20. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It would be crazy to keep the one you don’t want.