Am I crazy? Or do the Schecter Diamond Series Elite 5's have a really good sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shackleford, Jan 2, 2006.

1. shackleford

Jan 2, 2006
    Everytime I go to Guitar Center to mess around, I pick up this bass and slap, pop, and tap away. I have a Warwick Corvette Standard 5, but I'm going to start looking around for something else. I wouldn't want to "downgrade," though. :oops:
  2. draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    It's not a downgrade... A Squier isn't a down grade if it just feels right and sounds right.

Go with what you like and not what these forums approve of. I personally DO NOT like warwicks... and am suprised so many people offer their approval. They aren't far above average (sonically speaking) and are heavy as hell. (only speaking from my experiences)
  3. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have played some nice Schecters. I have a student with a sweet fretless. Play what you like. Don't worry about brands. I have had 2 Modulus Q5's, 2 Ken Smith's, a Warwick Dolphin, etc. and I'm playing a Yamaha BB605 with Bartolini electronics. I don't think it's a downgrade, and neither does anyone who hears it.
  4. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I was expecting the C5 at GC to have a bad sound compaired to my DC45 equipped yamaha, but it held up very well, but I haven't A/B'ed them.

Bottom line, schecters are good looking, well built basses with name brand electronics. EMG-HZ pickups are not the cheap EMG selects, they are the passive version of the DC series.

If you can handle slapping on narrow spacing like the schecters have, then go for it.

by the way, welcome to Talkbass!
  5. shackleford

Jan 2, 2006
    Hey, thanks, for the advice and welcome. I, actually, might just buy the Schecter and keep the Warwick. It's only like ~$600. I could probably just outright trade the Warwick for the Schecter at Guitar Center. But, I want to find a bass that's like the Schecter but more of a high-end custom bass - like a Warrior.
  6. I still say those schecter custom 4's and 5's are under rated. They are right up there with alot of the stuff double their cost.
  7. My preference is for EMG-HZs over the DCs. I just prefer the tone, a little less bite but just enough.
  8. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Schecter makes very nice instruments for the money. They're not boutique, but there's not a darn thing wrong with them.
  9. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I'd love to A/B them in a live/recording session. I might just agree with you.