am i crazy? or experienced.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist286, Nov 22, 2001.

1. bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    I have a question. nad it is very simple. am i crazy?. im 15 years old and i have a over a $3000 set up nad i paid for it all. am i crazy.
    i am currently running a warwick thumb bolt-on 4 string into a wireless recever. the recever goes into a pedle board with six effects internaly hooked up. the effects are. a dunlop bass wah, a boss bass overdrive. a boss bass chorus, a boss bass synth, a boss delay, a dod envelop filter (i don't liek dod but fleas has one so i thought it would be cool to have. then i have the pedleboard go right into the input of my head . which is a crate bx220. i have the head run through a rack system thats prettty nice. the rack includes. a bbe sonic maximizer, a bbe 31 band eq, a korg rack stage tuner. then all of that into a axis poweramp that pumps 500 more watts into my signal so that a combined total of 720 watts. i feed it into two cabs a crate 2x15 cab and a crate 4x10 cab.... am i crazy of being 15 nad have such an extencive set-up i jsut want the absolute best soudn i can get. nad right i looking at up gradeing nad getting rid of the crate and byeing a ampeg b2r head nad put that in the rack with everything else. should i cut down my set up. or should i kepp it up? help...?
  2. Nad you are nad one nad crazy nad dude nad:rolleyes:
  3. you must have saved up for a loooooong time or something. if you paid for it then what's the problem? and who ever said that being crazy in bad? normal is boring.
  4. I gig for a living on $1500 CDN worth of equipment. I couldn't possibly justify spending that much money on effects, especially since I'd barely use them.

Maybe I'd get some use out of an envelope filter, but I'm building one for less than $30.

I think you're crazy. No, wait. You're only 15. In another year you'll sell most of it to buy a car...

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I think "nad" means "and" when you're crazy.

Uh oh, how did I know that? :confused:...

Maybe I'm crazy :eek:...
  6. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Sounds like you have a case of GAS (Gear acquisition syndrome.) We joke about GAS a lot, but seriously I think there is a point at which buying expensive gear can become somewhat an obsessive addiction similar to overeating or over indulging in alcohol or drugs.

If you're asking the question, "Am I crazy?" it's probably because there's a little voice in your head telling you that buying all this gear makes no sense. I've learned to listen to that little voice (the one in my head -- not the one in your head.) ;)

Maybe it's time to give some serious thought to what you are trying to accomplish and what it will take you to get there. For example, maybe the money would be better spent on lessons with a good teacher. Just something to consider...
  7. GAS is bad.. seek help.

unless you want to have big depts...
  8. My only questions would be: Are you as good as your rig? Some people have outrageous rigs to cover up for technique other use it to fully display their technique. If your happy with your tone keep it. I recently went from a 16 space system with some of the same types of gear you have down to a 4 space and one pedal setup. To me gear is dynamic. It grows and shrinks as life progresses. BTW if I was going to upgrade your rig I would replace the crate amp with a good preamp and leave the rest alone.
  9. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Nope. Don't work like that, chief.
  10. It could if he is running one cab from the crate and one from the power amp. Otherwise I agree. I re read that part a few times myself.
  11. 15, yeah your crazy.
    Save your money for the prom or something.

12. Okay. But you'll have to wait till after christmas.

13. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    bassist 286, why are you telling us this?
  14. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    where the hell does a 15 year old get 3 grand?
  15. by selling alot of drugs. j/k
  16. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    considering the relative level of lucidity in the post, I'd say someone is sampling the company product:eek: j/k

On a serious note (no punn intended), I think that you're neither experienced or crazy. I've certainly wasted more than 3 grand on junk in my life. It's part of the learning process.

If I had 3,000 bucks to blow, I'm confident that I could put a rig together that would blow your whole van load into the street.

Keep the Warwick, donate the rest to charity. Deduct the full 3 grand off your income taxes as a charitable contribution, (after you also claim depreciation on it) and start over.
  17. beachgeddy

Jul 11, 2001
    Muskegon, MI

how bout 2 grand?
  18. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    For 2 grand?... Completely off the stage and halfway to the street.

My current rig.
    Toby pro 5 w/ bart hr 5.4 $550
    SWR grand prix $450
    Crown ce1000 $385
    Acme b-4 $700
    Acme b-2 $350

total- $2435. and it would leave that crate rig in a corner, curled into the fetal position crying for it's momma. Leave the b-2 at the house and it would probably still crush his rig.

Other than the Warwick, the rest is probably worth what...$500 on the street?

2 grand can buy a lot of rig...if you're careful IMHO

Don't you think?
  19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Tons of effects: Big Fad. Waste of money.
    Crate amps: That's just disgusting. Waste of money.
    Multiple preamps and poweramps when only one of each necessary: Biggest waste of money.

Attempt to brag: Failed.