am i crazy? or experienced.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist286, Nov 22, 2001.

1. Angus making me snort milk up my nose laughing: Priceless.

FF

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    :D

Thanks for finishing it for me! :D

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

More than 1 question there, mate.;)

What kind of wireless are you running? Between that and all of those Boss stomp boxes, I'm surprised that you have any signal left to run through the amp. Nice touch having a DoD B3(@u53 f|[email protected] |>035. 0r |>||> y()u |\/|[email protected]|\| [email protected] y0uR d()D [email protected] f|[email protected]?

Seriously, man, ditch the pedals and the Crates. Ampeg is a good amp company. After you get the B2R, get some decent speaker cabinets. Or, you could invest the money on some spelling and grammar classes.

benjamin, you have already signed up once. Don't you know that multiple logons are against the rules?

4. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I want one too!

5. Let me get one built for SMASH, he can review it for me, then I'll start taking orders :D

I'm not quite done the first one yet, but its just about there. Between gigging, working on my bass, raising children, designing a 1/2 scale (17") Fender Jazz for my 2 year old daughter, renovating the basement and looking for a day job, I'm pretty busy. And now christmas is coming.

FF

6. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    i just dont get why people spend so much money on effects.

BTW, I've been clean for almost a year now;)

Travis

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I remember when I was 15, I got my first "real" bass for Christmas. An SR400 Fretless. Until then I was playing an old Fender Musicmaster my old man gave me. And I was playing through his Sunn Beta. I thought I was on top of the world.

Are you crazy? Well, I don't know. Do you have all that equipment and just play in your garage. If that's the case, then I'd say yes. I'm 19, and I have about 1100 tied up in basses, and about 450 tied up in an amp. I play professional also (And I plain on getting a way better amp once I get a decent job ;) ) Once I get a decent amp setup, I think I'll be good. Then I can start saving for that Carvin I always wanted. :D My point is, I don't the average bass player needs over 2500 in equipment. (I'm not counting multi basses you can never have to many of those) Maybe that's a broad statement to make, considering I don't know everyone's situation, but I really see no point in it where I live at least. I guess it all goes back to what Gallent Knight said: Do you use all that equipment to help enhance your technique or cover up. Believe me, I see these guitar playing cats all the time, that have the most expensive Gibson Les Pauls, and can't play for Sh*t. Then some cat will walk up with a Stratocaster he got at a pawn shop and rip it up. Good gear is important, but I find the majority of players who over emphasis gear, and "Only buy the best" not always, but most of the time, can't really play. I'm not saying this is your situation, I'm just giving the statistics from my expierences. Just remembet the player makes the gear, not gear makes the player.

8. and I thought I was overly fortunate. :rolleyes:

Seriously, if it's your money, do what you want with it. Better bass than smoking pot 24/7. That's how I look at. I'm 15, here's my rig:
    -Schecter Stilleto Elite 5 string
    -Fender Mexi MIM jazz
    -Hartke 3500
    -Peavey 410 TX

it is PLENTY for me, especially for the rig. A new six string bass or a nice four string jazz bass is currently being saved for. Ive got a bunch of other bass gear that I don't use anymore (effects that I now use for guitar, run my guitar into my old 120 watt hartke 2x12 bass combo), but then again, it was my money. Being 15, I take it you had some kind of savings account already. That's how I paid for some of my gear. Better bass gear than saving that money for CAR REPAIRS when I'm 17:rolleyes:

I think there's a lot of stuff in that rig of your that you could do away with. But hey, if you dont mind carrying it everywhere and using what you want, that's cool. Enjoy it now before you're 40 and not having the ambition in carrying 410 + 115 rig around everywhere. Someday I plan to just plug direct too, but hell, why not enjoy the big rigs now while I'm young and dumb:D

I'll eventually get an aguilar 2x1x12" rig. Not now though... I don't deserve it:D

9. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    ok, i guess ill throw my input in here. i am only 14. i have a $1599 bass and no amp. i have a peavey t-max head on the way (should be here monday) and i paid $300 for that. i have a homemade 12" cab and after christmas ill have an avatar b210. thats all i got and i play/ gig (whatever you wanna call it) all the time. i always just go direct. i always play in churches and stuff where they have DI boxes and such. i had one multi effects prcessor but i sold it recently because it was pointless. now all i have between me and the sound system is an aphex aural exciter and i am completely satisfied w/ my sound. i guess i just do what i must to get by.

10. on a quick note, I'd just like to tell everyone not to get me and the original thread starter confused:D bassist31588, bassist826, ****:bawl:
    I'd never play through a crate
    :D

11. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

And what do you do in your spare time? :)

12. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I can honestly say I'm GAS-free now.

I have:
    -3 wonderful basses
    -A powerful "big-rig" rack setup with 2 cabs
    -and a nice practice amp

Life is good when you don't immediate go to the "for sale" part of this site each day.

13. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    just when i thought i was gas free...i heard a g&l sb-2. so, as of last night, i am no longer gas free.

14. unless you are in a band that either gigs seven nights a week or you are as famous as creed or system of a down, you are crazy, or at least wasteful. sell some of your effects and get a decent head if you must. my suggestion, sell the head, cabs, power amps, and a few effects (i'll give you ten dollars for the DOD envelope filter), buy a high powered combo if you need volume and spend the rest on instruction books, unless you can prove me wrong by putting some mp3 of your talent on the forum. Sorry if this sounds mean, but it sounds like you are wasting your money, when (trust me) you will need it when you are 17-18.
    Charlie

15. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I just read through dude's entire post nad understood most of it. Am I crazy?

16. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Flea uses a pedal in one video and sales rocket up as everyone thinks it's the key to the Flea sound. Sadly, he's never recorded with it, and for conventional envelope filtering it's crap. Great for dub though - ask Bill Laswell.

Oh, and you're not crazy, you're young and foolish.

Alex

17. Ben Alman

Ben Alman "Cowboy"

Nov 30, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It truly doesn't matter how much gear you have, "experienced" is how you play the bass :)

But yes, you are crazy (we all are)

- Cowboy

18. Oh please, get a REAL rig! :spit: ;)

Dollar value that important? Are you compensating for something? My rig(s) are huge, but I just like ungodly volume and tone.

Are you experienced? If you have to ask... :rolleyes:

19. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I'm 17, I'm about to have

A traynor Ts-50b ($100)
    Crown 1000 watt power amp ($300)
    a good 2x15 cab ($400ish, I'm guessing)
    a Peavey t-40 ($200)

And that alone destroys his rig :(

20. Sonorous