Am I Crazy? --Poll--

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cliff Bordwell, Jan 20, 2005.

Crazy or not?

Poll closed Jan 27, 2005.
  1. CrazyYes

86 vote(s)
    47.0%
  2. CrazyNo

97 vote(s)
    53.0%
  1. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Thanks. Yes they are more comfortable. I've had them on a Tobias Classic 5 and loved them, I also have them on my Roscoe and they are comfortable too. But on the P and J pickups, I don't understand why they make the corners so square and sharp.

2. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I agree!
    Here is what I have done in the past on wood covers.
    040724pup.jpg
    It really makes a difference!

3. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Yes, nice job, very well done.

4. Word! Pickup placement is the reason I got rid of my StingRay.

5. I don't think you're crazy. I move my hand around to get different sounds, but on my jazz I like the sound of plucking near the bridge, but it gets uncomfortable anchoring there. I rest on the neck, and strech out to the bridge.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

No, you're not crazy. That said, I don't think it's a good idea to lock your thumb onto the pickup(s)... that way, you're limited to one or two playing positions. This is probably the biggest reason why some mistakenly believe that a one pickup bass is a one trick pony.

You can get a lot more tone out of your bass if you can free your hand to play anywhere from the bridge to the neck. Heck, when I'm layin' down vintage thump I sometimes pluck *over* the fingerboard.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021