Am I crazy recording bass through a small amp?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Kubla Khan, Mar 8, 2001.

1. Kubla Khan

Kubla Khan

Jan 29, 2001
    Hello Bass Recording Enthusiasts,

I have a huge old Kustom 200 (white sparkle padding), with 2 killer 15 JBL's in it. I also have a Sunn Concert lead guitar amp with 4 x12's. They both sound good, and are extremely loud.

The amp I choose to record with is a Peavey Microbass. Aside from the wall shattering waves that come from the large amps, I'm pleased with the 'seemingly' even range of the smaller amp. Even the expensive active basses sound good through the 8 inch speaker, and at a decent volume for recording. The Micro gets a smooth even response. I'm only playing four stringers, so no subterranian B strings to amplify.

Am I crazy?

Kubla Khan
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    If it sounds good, use it!

The weirdest things work in the studio....

I haven't done recording with an amp and mic yet.
    For my home-recording purposes direct recording is working perfectly for me (I also practise through my computer and stereo - beats every practice amp I've heard yet (IMO)).
    But a friend of mine collects strange amps from the 60s and 70s and gets great results with them...
  3. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    From what I've read, when you record with large speaker stacks in the studio, the engineer may only mike one 10 inch speaker for instance. So, the principle is the same.
  4. Well, I don't know if this counts, but when I right songs on the computer (using Acid 2.0, a drum machine, and guitar and bass) I record all guitar and bass through my little Crate B-15, it works pretty well. You can hear how it sounds at (plug!) ;)
  5. i can't figure out why but every time i see this thread i think of the song Radioactive by The Firm.
  6. Probably - Welcome to the club!
  7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Though many responses have been received here, I am going to move this to the Recording Equipment forum where, hopefully, even more responses will be attratced.

8. I_Dream_Of_Bass

Feb 8, 2001

Yes...absolutely...someone should lock you up...look out your window and watch for the men with the white coats!!!!
  9. It's to different worlds, the studio and live playing, so you are sane and a litlle insane like the hole lot of us.