1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I Crazy??? Should I Be Stopped???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vance MacLean, Jan 19, 2017.

1. So, here's what i'm thinking. I have a Road Worn Jazz, great bass and i'm absolutely in love with the neck. IME it's the most comfortable, best playing neck i've ever used. I also have an AVRI '63 Precision which I love the sound of. It really is an amazing sounding bass. What i'm thinking, if the neck, pocket, screw holes line up, is putting the RW neck on the '63 body, keeping the same old worn in flats, and taking it for a test run something any of you guys/gals have done or would consider?

Cheers,

Vance

JJR58, ICM and murphy like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yes, you're crazy.
    No, you should not be stopped.

Give it a go. Let us know how it turns out.

pudge and theduke1 like this.
  3. I will. I've already committed myself to the project, first thing in the a.m., (after coffee of course). I'll update with pics and a "review".

murphy likes this.
  4. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Roadworn necks are the goldilocks of Fender offerings. I would happily build any sort of Frankenstein bass around a Roadworn neck.

Do it as long as the holes line up.

5. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I've seen a few guys do that with the RW necks. Hope it works out!

SilGarzaJr likes this.
  6. For sure!!! I have a 68 J, AVRI 63 P and a 2012 Am Std J Fretless in addition to the RW. The RW blows all challengers out of the water in the neck department. They definetly brought their A game with them.

7. Ninevolt

Ninevolt

Nov 26, 2015
    Stark raving mad! - All the best people are.

Two thumbs up it the holes fit.

8. My main player is a warmoth P body with a '94 MIM neck on it. Best neck I've ever played, so I built around it. Go for it.

9. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    That's why the bolts are there.
    If it was a Rick, I'd say stop. But any bolt on? Go for it!

10. I have a '97 4003, that sadly hasn't been out of it's case since I got my RW some 2 years and a bit ago...

11. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    If you want to soothe your guilt, I'll take it and play it.

12. You never know....the thought has crossed my mind more than once lately that perhaps some day the right deal could be struck...

13. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Just be very careful not to chip the paint around the neck pocket! I assume you've done this beforeā€¦ So just don't get hasty.

14. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.
    Rosewood Jazz neck on a P body?.

Yes.

If the fit is right, (no gaps).

Killer!

15. Juststanley

Juststanley Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Tejas
    3 out of 4 of my P's have jazz necks....I've been wanting a roadworn P but can't deal with 1 3/4 width.....I say go for it ! You'll end up with the best of both worlds.

16. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Yup, I love J necks on Ps. I have 4 Ps and the only one that doesn't have a J neck is the fretless one. Hope the holes line up and it all works out for you.

17. You're stark raving mad! Go ahead and do it, or you will go crazy wondering about it. LOL

18. Done!!! Love it! Pics tomorrow

mikeyjm2 likes this.