1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

am i crazy sterling time?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by origami, Feb 26, 2008.

1. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    should i even concieve of this???

anyhow.. BTW- this isn't a "for sale" thing. i am thinking of parting ways with several of my MIJ fenders (geddy and jag maybe -cringe- my duff or steve harris bass (probably not)) and going to get a brand new EBMM sterling either a H or HS.

It's not that I don't love some of my Fenders (I do), but I just love the sterling, and you know how GAS works. i have a EBMM stingray V and it rules. I once had a stingray 4 string, but sold it. i prefer the sterling anyhow.

-if you know me, don't worry the 77 p-bass isn't going anywhere. i would be cold and dead for that to happen.

i'd just buy the sterling outright, but the "boss" is still recovering from my drum-a-rama purchases during x-mas. -i bought a yamaha maple custom absolute- to those who know, top of the line drums $$$ and a double kick pedal to annoy my neighbors with slayer blast beats. shhh don't tell UNT..i'll have to turn in my jazz card.

i just want to know. will i get the sterling and regret parting with 2-3 basses to get it? or shuld i be happy and feel blessed that all my basses have a happy home.

2. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I would buy a used one and sell fewer basses, if possible. If it comes down to it, be sure to keep at least 1 P-bass and 1 Jazz. Nothing wrong with getting the Sterling, it doesn't sound or play the same as the SR5 though its certainly in the same ballpark. I don't think you'd really regret it as long as you don't unload everything.

3. ^^^ +1

I picked up a used Sterling a couple of days ago. I know what it's like to have GAS for one, and I would definitely go used. You might want to think about putting up trade feelers up for your other basses in the section here at Talkbass.

4. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I dont think that offloading all those basses for a sterling will be a good move. Take it from an Ex sterling owner.

5. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    i love used basses.

i would maybe consider used, but i sort of wanted a new sterling (not looking to trade, etc.). the ones with the newer compesated nut and hum + single. i think the EQ might of changed slightly too. i swear the newer stingrays sound a bit different almost more bongo.

my EBMM stingray V has been a real solid jack of all trades, dependable bass for all my church and cover gigs, but i play 4 string only for my indie rock band, and i was looking for the same functionality and dependability in a 4 string. my fender basses (i love em, awesome for studio) but sometimes the can be a bit unpredictable in live situations especailly in backlined or straight to DI shows.

just mulling it over. probably staying put. i think i need to hit GC and play every sterling and see if its going to be something that cures the GAS or just interrups it.

6. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    If you like your SR5 that much then the Sterling should do it for you...same ceramic pickups.

7. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    Go for it, I also just purchased a Sterling this week and I am crazy for the bass, It feels so right and super comfortable, super low action no buzz and tone kills , plus the looks oh man. I am also lucky to have some good basses and believe I wouldn't hesitate to sell a Fender (or a couple) to buy a Sterling I am even considering unloading something to buy an HH and maybe a fretless, I really like them.

8. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    I think you should sell me the Steve Harris...

:D

9. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Yep,same pickups and preamp.I just got Sterling #3,and working on #4.plus I have an early SR5.If you like the tone of the SR5,you'll like the Sterling also. You can't miss.I put up my 73 Jazz and sold my other 4 strings,because the Sterling just get the job done. Go for it!

10. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    i traded a usa p and an SG guitar for a sterling and have no regrets... but that's me.

IMO if something's easy to replace why not? If getting a bass back is a matter of browsing ebay for a week then i see no harm.,

11. I own a sterling and i have to admit you get over em. The small neck starts to get annoying after a while and i have gone back to p and jazz basses. They are good to pull out every now and then but they are definately not a number 1 for my style of playing!

12. Jim Roseberry

Jim Roseberry

May 24, 2007
    I'd recommend getting the H/S version of the Sterling.
    In addition to the classic EB SR sound, that'll get you into Jazz/P/Ric territory. Extremely versatile... and best of all... each of the different pickup switch positions delivers a good useable tone.

You have your '77-P, so I wouldn't worry too much about selling a couple MIJ Fenders. They're both pretty easy to source (both new and used)...

The EB basses feel/sound great...
    I just got a SR5 H/S... and am thinking about getting rid of my Ric, MIA Jazz, and SR5 H. To me... it's the perfect bass.
    If I clean house, I'll probably go for a SR HH. :D

Jim Roseberry
    www.studiocat.com
    jim@studiocat.com

13. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    besides the 77pbass (which will never be sold.. i have had it since 1991) i think the steve harris would be the last to go. not that it sounds superior to other p-basses, but its just cool having one and taunting those who don't ;)

plus i put those silly blue DR strings on it (which I don't really like), and now it looks really fly with the blue strings matching the blue body. up the irons!

i think one is a maiden bass on the 'bay" for $910 i've seen them go for crazy prices the most was like 1400euro and the least was like under $500.

i got my maiden bass used about 4 years ago. i traded a used G&L tribby L2000 and a used 80s MIJ p-bass even. i miss the G&L (best budget bass hands down) but it was worth it. that harris bass was destined to be mine. i missed getting it at mars when they went out of business when someone else knabbed it first (early bird gets the worm). i found it later at GC with the mars sticker still on it. i know it was the same bass. it was meant to be mine.

...maybe George W will buy me my sterling?
    but i am sure the mrs. already has plans for the $

14. vcs700s

vcs700s

Nov 17, 2006
    Stephenson, VA
    I disagree. I off loaded a couple of basses just to have my two MM's- Sterling 4H and SUB 5H. Best move I ever made bass wise!:D

Go for it!!:hyper:

15. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1.

Trading 3 $800 basses for a new $1400 bass is a bad idea IMO.

Look for a used one. Be patient and you will find a used Sterling in mint condition for $800-900. AND your Geddy and Jaguar basses are worth $550-600 used. $200-300 and your bass would be a good trade off.

16. Wow, I clicked on this just to find out what the thread title actually meant...

17. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Ever since I got my Sterling, my American Jazz has spent more time in its case. I personally think the Sterling neck is faster than the Jazz. I also can tweak the action to be much lower.