Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I crazy? (trade expensive rack for 1001rb)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basss, Jan 2, 2003.

1. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I've been toying with the idea of trading my pre/power setup(aggie db659/stewart 1.2) for a GK1001rb. Why? First of all I could use the money. With aguilar's recent price increases I could at least make back the money I paid for it. Also I like to keep things as simple as possible. I like the idea of a small lightweight powerful box that I could throw in a backpack and bring to the gig. I love the sound of my amp but the truth is that when I play on rigs provided by others whether in a rehearsal studio or a gig I often have just as much fun in the end as I do with my own rig.
    What do you guys think? Am I gonna miss the extra headroom ( I play a 5er)? Is the tone gonna take too much getting used to? Anyone made a similar swicth?

2. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I have changed amps and cabinets several times over the years.
    On several occasions I found myself wishing I had my "old" rig just a few weeks or months after changing.
    Anymore I try to hang on to what I have even after getting something else at least for a few months.
    I have also found that good used equipment is more cost effective than buying new equipment.

You might want to consider keeping the Stewart power amp as it is a very light amp. Even if you get another head, you can line out into the Stewart to run additional cabs.

3. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Good ideas...If I make this move the stewart will have to go too. I really need the money! I may be able to hold on to my old stuff for a while to see if I will be able to part with it or not. I really like the tone of the aguilar though...

4. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Get The GK.You won't be dissapointed.....

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Been playing through GKs for over 20 years. no complaints. I had my 1001rb for about 3 years. It's a great head, especially with my Pre-Washburn Eden cabs, LoL! . I've been lucky, and have not had the quality control problems that others have had, like with that 2000rb.

I love being able to lug a compact head that has all the tone and head room that I need in a light weight package, as opposed to one of those racks.

As you guessed, it doesn't have the quality sound that you get from a Demeter or Alembic preamp coupled with a high-end power amp. but you don't have to haul around a heavy bulky rack either. So, there's a trade off. The 1001rb works very well for me and I'm happy with it.

6. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have a small rack with an Avalon U5 and Stewart 1.2 in it, and a GK 700RB, and until recently had a GK1001RB. I got rid of the 1001, missed it, and got the 700 since there were no 1001s at the local dealer and I was making a trade.

The 1001 sounds very clean and has a lot of power, not quite as much as the Stewart, but plenty for most sane uses. It seems to like a 4 ohm load better than an 8 ohm load, really puts out the juice into 4 ohms. It has quite a bit more power than the 700.

I'm still using my Stewart - just gave the 700 to my son - but I like the GK's small size and weight.

There are a few downsides to GK.

When driving a 4 ohm load, be sure to turn the master volume below 12:00 before you turn the amp off, otherwise it sometimes will give a mighty turn-off crack that can be bad for tweeters and other speaker components. I thought GK had fixed this (my 1001 got a factory modification to address it) but my 700, which is only a few months old, does it, too.

The amp puts out a lot of hiss. Nothing unusual for a bass head, I guess, but a whole lot more than the Stewart rig, and I am very fussy about hiss.

The bi-amp feature isn't much use unless you use a GK cab, and it adds even more hiss when you switch it in.

Even so, I like 'em.

7. That really sounds like you are trading down to me. I've never owned or played a GK but I've played what you own and I think you have about as good as it gets for that type of setup. (per-amp/SS power-amp) How much money do you figure on coming out ahead? I once sold a Fender fretless p- bass. One of the or. Now the money is gone, the bass is gone, and I have nothing to show for it. jmho

8. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    The hiss problems are being addressed by GK as well.

9. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Wow, thanks all, looks like I'm gonna have to check the gk out.

Bben-
    Is there a big difference in sound quality into an 8ohm load? I will probably be running it like this quite often. Will this be a problem for me?

10. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Trip, when does that new preamp come out? Still curious about that. Was supposed to be sometime soon, no?

basss, GKs work fine with 8 ohms, I used (use) mine that way more often than not. It's just if you add a second 8 ohm cab in parallel you can back down on the volume controls quite a bit and still get the same level of sound.

11. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    That's generally because when you double the number of speakers you get 3db more of volume. As for the preamp, there SHOULD be a some working units at NAMM. I'll give you guys the honest-to-GOD memo and blab on things after the show.:)

12. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Show us the money Trip!

13. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Hey man! You'll there anyway!:D

14. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
  15. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I owned a GK 1001 and it was a great sounding amp. I wish I had it back.It kicked serious ass thru a Bergantino 3-10.

16. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Why didst thou purge thy gear supply of the aforementioned amplification unit?

17. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    At the time I was playing an Aguilar db359. It broke down on me in the middle of a gig... Power tube failure. I bought the GK from a friend while the Aguilar was being repaired. It sounded great but I sold after my Aguilar was fixed. I have since traded my Aguilar for an Ashdown ABM 500 which is a very nice amp, but I think the GK sounded a little better thru my Bergantino 3-10. The GK was very impressive.

18. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    I see. I do like the Ashdowns though! You did good.:)

19. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I owed one for about 3 weeks. It sounds great cranked up but at low volumes there is not a lot of low end. I play in an acoustic band where I don't use a lot of volume and with the bass and mid-bass eq turned up all the way up I still could not get much low end. When I started to crank the amp up it sounds great with lot's of low end. I really liked the weight and I would have kept it if I didn't need to play at lower volumes.

20. Can't say i have heard of an amp sounding better at high volumes very often