1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HelpImaRock, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Ok, I know existentially the answer is yes, but hear me out anyway.

I auditioned for a band earlier this week and got the gig. They're a little off the beaten path. Two acoustic guitars, run through electric amps, and a not so hard hitting drummer. Since I didn't know what the loudness situation would be, I brought my main rig, a Markbass LMII and GK 115. It was total overkill.

I'm thinking for my next rehearsal I'll bring my '77 Fender Musicmaster Bass amp. It seems like it would be loud enough with it's Eminence Texas Heat speaker. I'm of course afraid of blowing it up and/or destroying the speaker.

The questions:

Is 12 watts enough to compete with a medium hitting drummer and a couple of not deafeningly loud electrified acoustics?

The Texas Heat (which is a guitar speaker) can handle my noodling at home. But is it up to the task? If not, which 12" bass speakers should I start looking into? I'm looking to avoid buying a rehearsal amp.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  2. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I don't see why you can't just use what you have. The LMII has a volume control, doesn't it?

3. Treacherous basement stairs. Clumsy person.

4. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Can you drive the 12 in the Fender with the MB Head?

5. Fender Rumble 25.

JoshS likes this.
  6. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I was recently in a similar situation when asked to sub. I brought my small Hartke 10” amp and a larger one just in case. Best case, the big one sits in the car during your first rehearsal.

stringthrough likes this.
  7. I thought about this. My trunk isn't big enough to hold the 115, so I have to put it in the back seat. Just not comfortable leaving it sitting there, even with a blanket or something over it. Too conspicuous.

Helix and Spent like this.
  8. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    You will ruin your little 12w bedroom practice amp by taking it out into the real world. Man up and take your already small, modest MB/GK modular rig. Getting it up and down the stairs will be good for you.

9. the possibility to tweak your back should not be ignored. I find it far safer to carry by myself, always front and center with straight back. If you ''suitcase'' it there is danger of catching it on doorways corners handrail. When that happens your back gets a loaded up twist.

sharkbait130 and S-Bigbottom like this.
  10. Nah, we've got to "man up" to please the Neanderthals we'll never meet. LOL.

JRA likes this.
  11. Lobster11

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    We haven't actually addressed the titular problem of whether or not you are actually crazy. Wanna talk about it?

12. It's a factual statement.

But what about a Deltalite 12 in the MMB?

13. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Best to not risk going out at all then.

Seriously, it is pretty far from unusual to carry a speaker cabinet, musicians have been doing it for decades.

I am sorry if my “man-up” reference was offensive. Ultimately, I support your right to do whatever you want.

14. I'm heavily invested in bubble wrap. Ultimately, I'll probably bring my amp because I like it. But it's worth exploring more manageable solutions as well.

Double E likes this.
  15. Londo Molari

Londo Molari

Jan 1, 2014
    2 blocks east of Mars
    Decendant from the Clovis culture. "Emitting that wonderful bass effect since 1970".
  16. Lobster11

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Yep, you're crazy all right. Listen to the voice of reason:

1. You went into this fully expecting that you'd be using your current rig. Just because you were surprised to learn that you might be able to get away with less doesn't change how treacherous your stairs are or how clumsy you are.

2. You didn't need as much amp/cab as you expected at the audition, but this could change at any time: You might be just as surprised next time that you need more.

3. It's always better to err on the side of "too much" rather than "too" little. The volume knob fixes the former problem, but can't fix the latter.

4. Your current rig at low output probably sounds better than a smaller rig at high output.

5. Your current lightweight head plus single 15" speaker is basically comparable to most combos, so downsizing is likely only to save you a few pounds -- not enough to matter.

Of course, if you're just looking for an excuse to buy new stuff, never mind -- don't let me stop you! :D

dbbltime, tradernick, Tommy V and 3 others like this.
  17. This is why I'm not considering using my Peavey Bandit 65 with a 12" bass speaker. That thing is heavier than my 15!

I'd consider a decent 8" or 10" combo. There's no high end gear race in this band. Of course, if I could get a deal on a Markbass 102P, which is half the size and weight of my GK 115, that would be the best option. Not gonna find that on the cheap though.

The reason i would consider replacing the MMB speaker is simple. I don't like the Texas Heat anyway.

18. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

00 images2b3.
    Am I crazy?
    00 images2b3.

:laugh:

00 images2b3.
    :thumbsup:

19. As a caveat to that statement, it would come at the expense of selling my current rig. I agree that's probably not worth it.

JRA likes this.
  20. Just my personal opinion here but I don't see how 12 watts is going to be enough for any kind of amplified band situation. I'd stick with the LM and pick up a good 1 12 cab that can handle it. In a fairly low volume situation you shouldn't have to worry about over powering the cab.

Oh , and yes , you are crazy. It's a good thing. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019